Blight question - greenhouse

• 11 Replies

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
Blight question - greenhouse
« on: January 13, 2010, 21:25 »
A premature question perhaps, given the year has barely started, but is blight likely to be an issue in a greenhouse? I grew a load of tomatoes last summer outside on my plot and blight decimated them. As they did for most plots' tomatoes on the site.

I am intending to buy a greenhouse in a month or so for various things, including tomatoes.

Thanks 
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Blight question - greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 21:34 »
Not so likely, but yes, it can be an issue.

Blight is airbourne and outside it can be washed down by rain, doesn't stop it drifting in through window or door of a greenhouse though.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:54 »
Any reader of these forums will know that nothing is 100% right or wrong when it comes to gardening techniques; it's often about playing the percentages.

I "got away" with it last year with my coldframe-grown tomatoes, going to a lot of trouble to make sure I didn't accidentally create perfect conditions for germination of any blight spores by not wetting the leaves when watering, removing leaves which were touching each other or the glass (traps water) and making sure the plants were ventilated when this could be done without letting rain on to the plants.

I was also no doubt lucky; you need that as well even if growing in a greenhouse, although almost certainly not so much as growing outside.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 15:02 »
You might also want to consider which way to site the greenhouse - if the main opening is facing the prevailing wind then that slightly increases the chances of blight spores blowing inside.
Last year some of my greenhouse tomato stems turned brown as if with blight but it didn't really develop and the fruit was unaffected.
Rachael

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 15:34 »
I sprayed my outside ones with Dithane & got away with it. No one else on the site did!

savbo

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 18:17 »
i had quite a bad blight attack in my 12' ghouse but it was rammed with plants and wasn't opened up enough while we were on holiday... I'm hoping with more spaced plants and better ventilation I'll be OK this year...

M

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 18:43 »
i had quite a bad blight attack in my 12' ghouse but it was rammed with plants and wasn't opened up enough while we were on holiday... I'm hoping with more spaced plants and better ventilation I'll be OK this year...

That's really groovy; you're obviously an old hippy (what are you going to use instead of dithane?!!)  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 18:45 by JayG »

savbo

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 18:45 »
i didn't say what type of plants they were... :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 18:46 »
Coool (and very quick!!)  :wub:

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 12:56 »
thanks for the advice/info as ever. Next stage is to choose greenhouse and all that - and persuade them to deliver to allotment.

Mind you my partner did query whether we actually do need a greenhouse given it would be used just for tomatoes mainly during the growing season. The cucumbers, peppers etc we grow outside successfully. Ho hum!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 13:15 »
Mind you my partner did query whether we actually do need a greenhouse given it would be used just for tomatoes mainly during the growing season. The cucumbers, peppers etc we grow outside successfully. Ho hum!

Tell your partner that all those crops (+ aubergines + melons if you like them) will be even more productive grown in a greenhouse, unless you happen to live in Spain (??!).   8)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 12:57 »
There could also be something else in the air, there may a mineral deficiency, some do take on the appearance of blight. Lots of air circulation will reduce the risk of blight.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
blight in greenhouse

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 07:52
by jennyb
xx
Blight in the greenhouse ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 15:26
by wellingtons
xx
Tomato blight in the greenhouse?

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 22:37
by barbarella
xx
Tomato blight in the greenhouse

Started by veggieman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 22:18
by DD.

Page created in 2.655 seconds with 29 queries.