pellets
« on: January 05, 2010, 18:30 »
I dont think my girls like their layers pellets much
they do throw them around an i never see them eat them
but they must as they do go down but not a lot
i try not too give too many treats,, late afternoon
is their happiest time when the corn comes out
but then again i try not to give them too much
anyone else feel the same .... still waitin for an egg...

themagicaltoad1

Re: pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 21:42 »
They're messy eaters aren't they. Mine chuck their pellets all over the place as well, I reckon a good half of each sack I buy goes to waste, so long as they have some available all day they will they will keep wandering back to have a few at a time. I sweep the ones on the ground up each night and bin them so as not to encourage rats.

princesspoultry

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 22:10 »
I give mine layer crumbs. They seem to like that much better. And I wouldn't worry about giving them treats. They love bread and some kinds of produce. Plus, It will save you money ;)

BillyMc

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 22:38 »
Hi,
Rightly or wrongly I dont take a chance ! This is my first winter and dont know any differ so I mix equal amounts of mixed corn, layers mash and pellets.
I have 3 different types of Qual (9 in total ) 4 doves which are mad on budgie seed and 2 pencil tail Hamburg banti's all in one flight with no problems at all, all but the pellets seem to be scattered everywhere by the Banti's. The amount I sweep up and bin is ridiculous but If they are hungry I am sure they would eat .
I have beeen advised that the mixed corn takes longer to digest which in turn keeps the body temperatures warmer for these extreme weathers we are having just latley.
Up to now, everyones healthy but sadley No eggs !
Bring on the Spring !

;)

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 23:13 »
you are right, they do say that corn is harder to digest, so sits in the crop for longer, which is useful for these very long hours of darkness.However, on the downside is that they dont contain the necessary nutrition, protein etc. I use the green type feeders which have a scratch guard around the bottom, and I hang it to almost the chickens head height. This keeps it clean cos they cant stand and poop in it, and they cant get in to scratch it all out. By the way, the biggest cause of choox flicking their food around, is if you put assorted feed in their feeder. If you think of their pellets as being the meat and veg of teir meals, and corn as chocolate smarties, you show me a chook that wouldn't shove all the veg aside to reach or search for the goodies!!!!

I keep pellets only in the feeder, always stocked for them to pick all day, but in the winter, about an hour before their bedtime, i widely scatter one handful of corn. they all go charging around, having a good scratch and peck, trying to find the corn. This keeps them from getting bored, and the exercise hopefully stops them feather picking when they go to bed. This has always worked for me, and actually I NEVER have loose food on the floor to clean up.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

BillyMc

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 23:21 »
 :) Just had a thought  :D have you tried the sports channel with a bag of Doritos ?
Seriously, Layers crumbs me thinks after growers pellets. However they strive on the mixed corn.
 :tongue2:

amj

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:20 »
Found all this interesting 'thanks... might try crumbs some time or  a better feeder
or even the sports channel ha '

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 15:18 »
Hi amj, I use a hanging feeder and they don't drop any - just take what they want and swallow! ;)

amj

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 17:45 »
wow! way to go thanks

doodoo

• dora myrtle and olivia
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 20:26 »
My three girls were messy with all the dome type feeders, i got a trough type galvanised feeder and they dont drop a crumb! If i feed them layers mash i use an old heavy duty fring pan, they cant tip it and olivia even sits on the handle to feed lol

xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
don't like pellets

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 20:29
by poultrygeist
xx
Which Pellets?

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 08:50
by carolbriar
xx
new pellets

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 21:34
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 30 queries.