Eggbound and in trouble!

• 4 Replies

chick with chicks

Eggbound and in trouble!
« on: January 04, 2010, 16:57 »
HI All,

Am very worried aobut one of our hens.
My Hubbie went down this morning to let the hens out and he waits to see them all out and check the coop.
When he opened the coop one wasn't leaving. She hasn't been very moblie for a couple of days.
So he picked her up and found a really big  egg in her, when he tried to move it out of her it  cracked  :ohmy:.
We aren't sure where this leaves us. She is out of the coop today but not eating or drinking and not following her pals about. She's just standing around with her head stuck in.
Will the broken egg pass in time and will chookie be well again? Do we need to do something?Is she in pain?

Any advice and opinions very welcome!

Carrie x

Foxy

Re: Eggbound and in trouble!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 17:24 »
Oh dear, she may have more than one egg stuck there now. She really needs urgent treatment and antibiotics,otherwise she will die very soon and in a lot of pain, I am sorry and please dont think me harsh.

A cracked egg inside invariably leads to infection. You can give her a salty tepid bath which will help gently cleanse the area and the warmth may help her muscles ease and help pass the remnants. If you can see the egg or fragments and this you could try gently removing them with very clean hands,make sure you dont distress her too much. You need to remove as much of the egg as possible. Give her a  dispersible baby aspirin to help reduce any inflammation. Keep her inside, in a warm utility and a dark cardboard box, leave her completely undisturbed.

Really a good idea is to get her to the vets(or cull if you have decided not to take your chickens to a vet). She will need a calcium injection to try and stimulate her pelvic muscles and help move any eggs along, plus metacam inj. to reduce swelling and discomfort.

Finally, I can't emphasis enough, young pullets should only be given layers pellets or mash, please avoid treats they really don't need them! Especially hybrids. I dont give my birds anything, even in this cold weather, no supplements just Apple Cider Vinegar and a garlic clove crushed in water all year round. Maybe a few times a week a few grains of corn to help keep them active and warm if temp gets below zero for too long ;)

chick with chicks

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 20:03 »
Unfortunatly chokkie didn't make it. He had a look at her in the morning and decided enough was enough and culled. She was obviously was in a lot of pain, so it was the kindest thing to do.
We feed our Hybrids barley and layers pellets mixed together. What you think?
Thank you so much for your advice lot's of great information there xx

Carrie

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 20:28 »
sorry about your hen :( I would cut out the barley completely and just feed layers pellets. A little barley as scratch in the afternoon will not do any harm though. The problem with mixing  barley/layers is they will pick out all the barley in preference to the layers!

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 20:36 »
am sorry about your :( hen , birds that go egg bound to me is still a mystery as i dont truly understand what i am loking for but i am learning more and more each day .

as for barley its know for heating horses up by making them hypo { well as i have always been told } but i have never dreamt of feeding it as i like my horses calm so i dont know if this is true but does it have the same affect on hens or is it to just keep them warm ?
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
Is she eggbound?

Started by yolkie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 09:01
by yolkie
xx
Eggbound???

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 14:59
by poultrygeist
xx
Eggbound?

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 13:05
by thechicken
xx
eggbound??????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 13:17
by kimT

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 27 queries.