Spud rotation

• 16 Replies

Jai

Spud rotation
« on: December 31, 2009, 12:37 »
Am I right in thinking that you have to plant first, second and main crop potatoes in different areas in the same year or can you use the same spot for all three types?
My wife made all the pies, then I ate them!!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Spud rotation
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 12:39 »
Use the same spot.

I start at the end of March planting earlies and don't stop until the lates are in.

(By the "same spot", I trust you don't mean planting second earlies in the same spot after you've lifted the first earlies).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:42 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 14:07 »
Hmmm.

I'm confused by your reply DD.

You said "I trust you don't mean planting second earlies in the same spot after you've lifted the first earlies". I might be wrong but I think that's exactly what Jai meant.

This is something I was wondering about. I'm not sure if it would apply to first and second earlies (are first earlies ready for lifting before you plant second earlies?) but could you plant your main crop in the same space that you grew your first earlies in, earlier in the year? Seems like it might be bad practice - gives the nasties a better chance to develop with a ready food source to hand for a much longer time.

Cheers.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 14:17 »
No, you can't do it because of time.

Main crop need a longer growing period than earlies and if you wait until you've lifted your earlies, you'll simply run out of growing time.

Typical times are 13 weeks for earlies and 22 weeks for maincrop. So, say you got your earlies out mid June, you'd be looking at late November 22 weeks on from that, which is a no-go.

Because of the longer growing time, best practice is to plant all your spuds at the same time, some even advocate planting maincrop before the earlies.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 14:20 »
It goes like this:-
you have the potato bed/rotation area, into which you plant all the potatoes you are growing this year, 1st earlies, 2nd earlies and maincrops. (They are all planted at roughly the same time, each type just takes longer to develope and therefore to harvest)

You do not harvest first earlies and then plant 2nds in the same place......oh no.
In the same bed/rotation area but not in exactly the same place.

Sorry DD you already clarified your answer Oops :blush:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 14:24 »
At least we said the same thing!

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 17:17 »
Because of the longer growing time, best practice is to plant all your spuds at the same time, some even advocate planting maincrop before the earlies.

You know, I've probably read that somewhere but until you said it, the penny hadn't really dropped. There was me thinking that I'd buy and plant my first earlies, then think about second earlies etc etc.

Now I plan to get them all bought and planted roughly at the same time - perhaps as you say, even get the maincrops in first.

Excellent advice DD and mumofstig - thanks.

One other thing - any idea when seed potatoes start appearing in the garden centres and perhaps just as important, how long they remain on sale? I'm not sure when I should buy - I want to be early enough to get a good choice but not so early as to give me a storage problem before I can plant them.

Cheers.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 17:20 »
Some of the big DIY stores have them in already, but the could have dubious history re storage etc..

They should start appearing later this month at garden centres, Wilkos etc. Mine are on order from my local independant, who will give me a ring when they're in & I'll just pick them up.

Kept in a cool, light place to chit, they should be fine. Mine go straight into a just frost free greenhouse.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 17:22 by DD. »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 18:14 »
Last year they were in wilkos by Jan 7 last year, and sold out fairly quickly, so you have to keep your eye out for them :D

Look at this thread from last year, it may help

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=28727.0

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 18:54 »
Yes, you can plant all your potatoes at the same time, and the earlies will bulk up first.

However, if you are serious about earies being earlies then the seed is chitted and they are planted as soon as the soil starts to warm up. You will be taking a risk and frost protection may be needed but new potatoes dug in late May/early june are heaven.

As for as planting two crops of potatoes in a season there is no reason why a crop of earlies should not be followed by another early variety. Not good practice but theoretically possible. The problem might be finding seed in June for the second crop. Before the old hands start huffing and puffing just think about all the postings there have been about so called Christmas potatoes planted in August. As far a disease is concerned it would not increase disease risk.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 19:57 »
My problem with First Earlies planted "early" is that they grow so fast that it becomes impossible to earth them up enough when there is still a danger of frost, and for that reason I'm inclined to delay planting of the fast growing first earlies a bit.

For my earliest spuds I grow them in tubs "really early" :)

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 00:02 »
It is unlikely that you will have more than say a dozen early earlies so for frost protection drape a fleece over them if frost threatens. It works better if is damped with a fine water spray, something to do with latent heat. Alternatively arise before sun up and water the frost off the leaves.

JohnB47

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 16:36 »
It is unlikely that you will have more than say a dozen early earlies .......

Could you explain that please? I'm just wondering how many first and second earlies to plant this year (my first year of planting these type).

Ta.

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 00:24 »
I only grow a small quantity of a first early variety and these go in as early earlies before the other potatoes. They are dug when small as a luxury vegetable. Many of the early varieties are only worth growing to eat as small potatoes, once they get bigger they loose flavour and often fall apart on cooking.

By the time the first earlies are all lifted those planted at the sensible time are ready to start. I used to grow earlies to follow on but these used to get too big before I got to them. Last season I grew orla as first early followed by charlotte and they followed on perfectly.

There are only two mouths to feed here and 12 first earlies is plenty. More mouths= more spuds.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 06:06 »
In view of Salmo's post, I'll keep quiet as to what I plant.

xx
Can i plant late spud crop after early or main this rotation

Started by Theedes on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 22:02
by DD.
xx
Rotation

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 16:53
by GardenShed
xx
Bed rotation

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 15:46
by simonwatson
xx
Rotation

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 12:47
by Weedy Wonder

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 30 queries.