Newbie's First Job?

• 23 Replies

Leedsniner

• Experienced Member
Re: Newbie's First Job?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 12:11 »
You won't be doing much digging at the moment if your plot is anything like mine!

llinx

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 08:38 »
I got my allotment in 2007. This was just a field that had not been used for over 15 years and was covered in tall grass, weeds and very densly packed clay soil. 1st - priority was to cut the grass then rotovate. 2nd - was to open up the ground to allow the coming winter frosts to help break up the large chunks. The next year was add 2 tonnes of sand to it and dig it over (not all at once I might add). 3rd - 2 tonnes of topsoil was incorporated and again dug over. 4th - planned the raised beds and created 2 x 4 inch soakaways either side of the plot to allow for drainage (there are flooded plots caused by hard clay, then their is my plot!!). 5th - Raised beds were built and a soil Ph test was conducted to check the alkaline / acidity of it. 6th - Potatos were planted on the first 3 long beds to aid soil break up. 7th - Rotation plan created.
Now I have good soil that is topped up each year with home made compost, a plot that drains in heavy rain but still retains moisture, great crops, and a back that will never forgive me for the punishment I put it through for the 1st 2 years! hee hee :)

Only1Dionne

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 20:23 »
Hello,
I notice in one of your posts that you have just got an allotment in Woodley...  We picked up the key to our first allotment (also in Woodley) at the beginning of last month. Just finished the first dig of the first bed today. You haven't got one of the new plots off of Reading Rd have you.....?
All the best,
IanM

Hi IanM! I'm so ashamed, I've only just noticed the 'See replies to your posts' link (shame on me!) so I didn't even know there were more replies to my thread...

Yes! I got one of the new ones on the Reading Road site - you've got one too? What do you think of the site? I don't like that I can't drive to my 'Lottie - the lane is too muddy and I'd have to drive over some people's allotment to get to mine. Plus, it's a bit of a walk to the nearest water tank...On the plus side, I've had Barry rotavate it and it's just grass, no weeds. How are you getting on?

Dionne (L24)

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 19:34 »
Hello! Mine is also a new plot on the Reading Road.. Sounds like yours is very near to mine as I have to walk quite a way from where I park!! Hopefully the council will clear some of those brambles and we might be able to drive nearer.. I also believe they will be installing more water nearer to us around May next year.. Lets hope that happens!!

Mine is L17..Its the one with a big pile of turf at the end.. I decided against rotivating but am now regretting it a little.. digging is hard work! Hopefully by then end of the weekend Ill have moved a couple of the 9 pallets I have aquired onto the plot! They are currently stacked in my rather small garden!

Will maybe see you (and Ian) sometime! :)

Only1Dionne

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 20:54 »
Hopefully by then end of the weekend Ill have moved a couple of the 9 pallets I have aquired onto the plot! They are currently stacked in my rather small garden!

Will maybe see you (and Ian) sometime! :)
[/quote]

Hi Dan78! I'm not sure where you are, but I'm up tomorrow and I'll look out for your plot. Yes, I'm right next to a bramble patch actually but the lady from the council said "do what you like with that" so I might cut some back.

Do you mind me asking where you got your palletts from? I've managed to pick up two, but they're not 'true' palletts, they've only one side of slatted wood, so not good for what I wanted. :-(

Do you know how fussy the council are about erecting sheds etc, do they have to be right on my plot, or would they mind if it's just off to the side?

Anyway, I'm up this weekend, I'll look out for you! 

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 21:05 »
Were you at the plot last Sunday planting some bushes and trees ? have a big pile of manure ?? If so I THINK I may have already said hello to you as I walked my way down to the end!

If not yes I will probably be there for a few hours both days this weekend.. need to keep digging  it up!! ???

Maybe we should try and get a few of us cutting down the brambles!!

Oh and pallets were from Just Tiles.. They often throw them out but people get there very quick to take them!! My other half saw a stack of 7 there and knew i wanted some so sent the retired neighbour in his van.. who returned with all of them!!! They arent perfect but should be fine for stuffing with cardboard and making a manure and compost heaps :)

As for the shed im not sure.. Would imagine it has to be on the plot though... Would be a shame to build one and then be told to take it down and move it later on!! I need to get a shed too!

See you soon im sure!!

Only1Dionne

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 22:15 »
Yes, that was me with the manure and the bushes! I planted a plum tree, 2 x raspberry plants and one honey berry (which I actually thought was blueberry!)

Ah I shall have to keep my eye on Just Tiles!

As for the shed, I'll take a wander round the site and see how other people have got theirs. You're totally right; I'm not going to risk setting it up and then having to move it.

See you soon!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 22:34 »
Hi Only1Dionne -- good to have another Reading memebr on the site  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Only1Dionne

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 23:15 »
Hi Only1Dionne -- good to have another Reading memebr on the site  :D

Yay go Reading! :-)

xx
newbie here,hi!

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 19:22
by John
xx
Newbie needs help!

Started by kea24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 18:12
by Yorkie
xx

Started by oldh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 20:55
by operabunny
xx
newbie here

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:29
by rictic

Page created in 2.37 seconds with 28 queries.