Speckled Eggs

• 3 Replies

littlewitch

Speckled Eggs
« on: December 10, 2009, 19:24 »
Don't wish to appear daft but..... Our Columbian Blacktail(Calder Ranger) 'Tasty' keeps laying slightly wrinkley shelled eggs that have dark reddish/brown speckles  near the wide end on them. Now whilst they look 'pretty' am wondering if they are 'healthy' for her - by that i mean are these speckles caused by blood - if so could there be a problem with her ( all her eggs have been like it since she first started laying back in July) To all intents otherwise she does appear to be healthy, tho does occassionally miss a day or 2 when she goes 'off lay' then goes a couple of weeks when she lays every day.

All answers gratefully appreciated.  Many thanks 1 & all.
chooks 004 small.jpg

Foxy

Re: Speckled Eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 21:27 »
If she has laid non- stop, her eggs will be losing colour and shell quality, particulary if had has laid continuously through a moult.
Normally after a rest,the  hen is able to build up calcium and pigment reserves, eggshell quality improves. After a second laying season, some hybrid hens after laying prolifically, never quite return to the same egg quality as when they  initially came into lay.
A good balanced diet, enriched with ad-lib calcium in the form of oyster shell or limestone powder can sometimes help. A teaspoon of cod liver oil once a week helps absorption of essential minerals,and ACV in the water helps towards a healthy digestive system :happy:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 08:56 »
One of my ex-batts lays eggs with a speckled end ... it's the only one that is easily identifiable!  :D
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 23:23 »
My black Magpie started off laying strange eggs similar to yours, hard but wrinkly and spots of browny-red colour on a cream background. Once she had settled down (a few weeks) her eggs were a lovely shiny deep brown with tiny speckles. They seem to be getting darker too!

xx
Speckled and groovy coloured eggs

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 14:22
by janeheritage
xx
Speckled Sussex hatching eggs?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 18:07
by kegs
xx
My first Speckled hen

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 11:06
by danfinn1
xx
Speckled shell

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 22:43
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 28 queries.