Earthing up spuds

• 2 Replies

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
Earthing up spuds
« on: May 16, 2007, 13:44 »
Hi all

I planted about 15 Desiree spuds in a little row of spare earth by my back garden wall in March.

I now have about 15 plants between five and ten inches high, looking extremely leafy and healthy - not bad considering I just chucked 'em in the ground and left 'em for a coupla months!

Trouble is, I don't know what to do next - I have no idea when I should start earthing up (and what I should earth up) or when I should think about feeding, harvesting etc.

From reading the slug posts, I'm tempted to make a dose of nematodes the next action.

Any thoughts or advice?
Veg? That's chips, innit?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Earthing up spuds
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 14:10 »
Earth them up to the top of the leaves leaving around a couple of inches showing, by earthing up we mean with soil or compost. slugs generally arent a problem as they feed on other things during the summer, they only become a nightmare in the autumn when they bury themselfs down in the ground and then feed on the tubers. Feeding again is something I tend not to do unless thing get bad, when I plant mine I make a bed of shredded paper then put loads of well rotted manure and drop the spuds on that, leave the ground flat and when they show I put another layer of rotted compost and then earth up, wait for the annual weeds to germinate carefully knock the earth back and re-earth up and leave, I only water if it gets really dry. I am sure other people have other methods.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

David.

Earthing up spuds
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 16:23 »
When you can't physically earth up any more, put newspaper, etc. between the rows (if wetted helps prevent being blown away) and cover it with straw (over the plants if a frost is forecast!). Another reason to collect stable straw as well as horse poo (they only burn it otherwise).

xx
spuds and earthing them up already

Started by withnail on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 20:45
by agapanthus
xx
earthing up spuds qu

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 20:41
by Elcie
xx
Earthing up spuds

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 23:59
by Paul Plots
xx
Earthing up spuds.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2020, 12:01
by jambop

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 36 queries.