Earthing up spuds

• 4 Replies

viettaclark

Earthing up spuds
« on: June 01, 2011, 23:13 »
Am I right in understanding potatoes grow from the roots formed on the underground stalks? And that earthing up, as well as frost protection and preventing green spuds will give a bigger crop because the stalks are longer?
I started earthing up my mids and lates a month ago when the leaves were a couple of inches up. I covered them completely (since found out this was wrong!) and kept covering them every time they grew up.
I used sycamore chippings mixed with earth and the ridge is now 10" high and the plants are bursting out everywhere, growing manically and are really healthy.
The trench I planted in was a good 8" deep with a layer of manure, compost and chicken pellets and I've been watering regularly. The chippings are great as a mulch.
Have I compromised spud production by covering the leaves so early so they couldn't produce food?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Earthing up spuds
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 23:21 »
Nope
You were protecting from frost.  You would have lost the lot if you didn't.  You could earth up at the base of the plant now to prevent green pots, but all the earthing up I did last year didnt change production from just letting them get on with it the year before.

A lot of people just risk it to their detriment.  I too covered most of the green leaves where I could and mine are fine - just like yours growing really well and I'm chuffed to bits (crosses fingers and keeps the blight monster away).

You started them off on a really good strong footing, dont worry so much  :)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 23:23 by peapod »
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 23:41 »
Thanks for the info, Peapod.  We earthed ours up twice in the last few weeks, but they're really tall now.  Is this going to make them difficult and should we keep earthing?
The ones in crates (pretty wicker ones, naturally) are doing fine and we hope to eat a few this weekend. ::)

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 23:43 »
Worrying's my job..... ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 23:59 »
Worrying's my job..... ::)

Have a week off! Relax  :) Sounds to me as if you've done a good job there.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Earthing up spuds?

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 09:58
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
spuds and earthing them up already

Started by withnail on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 20:45
by agapanthus
xx
Earthing up spuds

Started by chicken on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 23:20
by blackbob
xx
Earthing up spuds

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 16:23
by David.

Page created in 0.534 seconds with 36 queries.