growing seeds in paper pots

• 23 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: growing seeds in paper pots
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 19:47 »
Pak choi is fine sown early as part of mixed salad as it is cut young, but if you want full size ones end of July is probably better  :) :) as then it is less likely to bolt
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

raymo1

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 21:55 »
Just a word of caution. I planted my parsnip seeds in open ended toilet rolls and all they did was swell up at the top with no depth to them. I also advised some allotment friends before I knew this and the same happened to them. Although I must say, most other things get off to a good start in toilet rolls. Hope this helps.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 20:50 »
"Yet the second lot, sown in summer, always do better.... Oddly enough"

My understanding is that Asian veg, like these, expect day/night length that is about equal - in the tropics it will be 12 hours day, 12 hours night.

As such if you sow in the Spring they will be experiencing relatively long days and this is what causes them to "bolt".

I sow mine in late Summer, and this seems to alleviate the problem.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 20:53 »
It does and we had masses this year  :D

crh75

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 15:03 »
I use old toilet rolls, brilliant for sweetcorn. I have never tried starting any root veg off in pots though.  I have never had any trouble sowing them directly. What are your reasons for wanting to start the root veg in paper pots rather than sowing directly? (this goes to anybody not just the original poster!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 16:39 »
When you are growing in small spaces, you have to wait for some crops to be harvested before the next lot can go in. So it helps us a lot to have plants (of all types)  growing in pots and ready to put in, rather than wait to seed direct.
With regard to parsnip this is so you can control conditions, if you have unfavorable weather or poor soil for sowing seed

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 16:58 »
"What are your reasons for wanting to start the root veg in paper pots rather than sowing directly?"

Control - as in the germination takes place relatively speedily. When I sow in the open the time to germinate is variable - depending on when it rains etc. This makes getting crop-continuity difficult. I also tend to get a row full of plants when sowing in the open, rather than the handful I can achieve by planting in pots. This doesn't really apply to Parsnips, where I can sow all that I want for the Winter season in one go, but for successional crops, and crops that have a short harvest interval - many Summer crops only have a harvest-window of a couple of weeks - its hard to control the timing when sowing in the open.

I have heavy soil, so growing parsnips in paper pots enables me to make a crop-bar type hole and drop a plantlet in (which I could also do with crow-bar and station-sowing of seed.

susie

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 17:01 »
I grew pak choi very successfully in paper pots, also tried parsnips, but did not take the bottom out of the pot, perhaps thats why I have lots of short ones. ::) must remember to do that next year.

bigben

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 14:56 »
"What are your reasons for wanting to start the root veg in paper pots rather than sowing directly?"

I lost quite a lot to slugs this year when I grew them direct, even using pellets. Using the paper pots meant some of my stuff got big enough to have a fighting chance by the time I put them in the ground. It was a bit time consuming but I now have some brill parsnips. It was also useful getting them germinated in the warm and then putting them out. In the past my parsnips have taken so long to germinate they get swamped by weeds.

xx
growing carrots in paper pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 07:27
by rowlandwells
xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
paper pots

15 Replies
Last post October 24, 2023, 21:13
by Snow
xx
Paper Pots

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 14:37
by Trillium

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 38 queries.