Do you remember Dig for Victory?

• 11 Replies

Dans

Do you remember Dig for Victory?
« on: November 22, 2009, 16:09 »
I am writing a history of the Second World War Dig for Victory Campaign, due for publication in 2011, and would like to make contact with anyone who has a story to tell. Perhaps you were there yourself and have memories to share. Or maybe you remember the stories of a parent who was involved, or even have some documentary material (eg diaries) you would be willing to share. If you think you might be able to help, please contact me by PM.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 20:48 by Aunt Sally »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Do you remember Dig for Victory?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 20:51 »
Good luck with the book Dan.  I have removed your contact details to prevent spammers and nuisance calls.  Our members will send you a PM.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 21:05 »
Good luck with this Dan
 Despite me being 'an old wife' I am not quite old enough to help you myself, and the only story wa sof my unlce digging up the lawn for veg growing and then after the war reseeding it and we were never, ever, ever allowed to walk on it, it was perfect.

and then his dog wee'd on it and a big brown patch appeared .... we laughed and then had to hide in the goosgog bushes pretty quick  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

kloggs

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 21:00 »
Hi dan, Yes good luck with the book, this period was part of my early life, but unfortunately I do not have any stories to tell. I can remember all the neigbour's had dug their gardens up and my father came home on leave from the army, gave me a wooden box and said that I had to fill it up with weeds every day while he was away. I don't think anything did get planted in the end. I can also remember getting the fortnight off of school to go spud ucking, god was that cold I'd usually eaten my sandwiches by 10 o'clock.      Well all the best on your book, I would like to read it when you have finished. Perhaps you will let the forum know how you get on.  Regards  Kloggs.
If a jobs worth doing etc. etc.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 21:11 »
My mother told me that my grandfather, to maximise growing space in their small London garden, planted up the soil covering the Anderson shelter. They grew a variety of veg up its sides apparently!

There were also various London parks and open spaces where food production took over from strolling with the family or the dog! No doubt you'll be able to find out about that from library and internet searches.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 21:26 »
My Dad was a lot older than my Mum, so during WW2 he was in the ARP, but he was also lucky to have allotments down in Kent where we lived.  He used to grow pigs and chickens as well as veg and fruit.  And he used to tell me that the man from the Ministry used to come round to inspect the pigs when they were ready, and that you had to donate half of your pigs to the war effort.  But Dad used to give the man a nice big leg of pork, and he would write down say 2 pigs had been killed rather than the 3 that had really been killed!

Don't know if it's really true, but he always told me that story! :D

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 21:26 »
Hi,
This is probably slightly off the topic you are researching and don't know where you are based, but there is a great exhibition on at the moment at Brighton Museum & Art Gallery called Land Girls: Cinderellas of the Soil, which you might find of interest.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.brighton-hove-rpml.org.uk/WhatsOn/Pages/landgirls.aspx

Lou

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 21:32 »
That's a really good idea....... and I have a friend in Aussie who was in the Land Army .... she was shipped out to the country (ours not Aussie's) to help with food growing.

Just the other year she received a medal for her war work as a Land Girl.

If you would like me to ask her if she would be willing to help provide information let me know - I could email her and ask permission to pass on her email address or vice versa. She's quite proud of her war work and has been interviewed for a couple of newspaper / mag articles in the past.

Just a thought..........

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 13:29 »
I picked up a book from a table sale, written in the war years, i think, That explained in great detail how to maximise your yeilds. Some of the chemicals they recommended to control pests makes me wonder how any of us survived! I'll try n remember to find the book and tell you more.  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 14:12 »
I was born after the war but my dad continued to grow veg among a few flowers in the small backyard of a terraced house in London. We also had chickens and rabbits, and I learn't very early on that the rabbits were not pets when my favorite bunny 'escaped' and we had 'chicken' stew for dinner :ohmy: :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 21:34 »
I was born after the war but my dad continued to grow veg among a few flowers in the small backyard of a terraced house in London. We also had chickens and rabbits, and I learn't very early on that the rabbits were not pets when my favorite bunny 'escaped' and we had 'chicken' stew for dinner :ohmy: :(

I remember spending hours as a 4 yr old trying to find the rabbit that got away...... years later I realised how fruitless the search had been as the bunny didn't hop it!  :blink:

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 22:04 »
My dad only just recently told me a story about the time my grandad dug up his entire front garden in the 2nd world war to grow vegetables. He came out early one morning and caught the very very naughty 10 year-old girl from a few houses down the road quietly working along his rows of veggies pulling up his carrots, snapping off the roots and sticking the tops back in the ground.
 ??? >:( :mad: :D :D :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 22:07 by Loubs »

xx
Dig for victory

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 22:30
by sloegin
xx
Arran Victory

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 10:25
by woodburner
xx
Dig for Victory -homework help

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 22:32
by brinylon
xx
Dig for Victory leaflet 1

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2019, 17:39
by DHM

Page created in 0.796 seconds with 38 queries.