paper pots

• 15 Replies

rowlandwells

paper pots
« on: October 21, 2023, 13:15 »
I used to make paper pots but I packed up making them because them seemed to fall apart when it come to planting out or removing them from the greenhouse bench and for one reason or another I never seem to get parsnips to grow they always forked after planting

so I decided to try  another idea for next season [carboard] loo rolls having collected quite a few and stored them  in a plastic drum ready for next season's planting my  thinking was  because there more stronger than the paper pots they mite not break up so easy so does any of you fellow gardeners out there use the paper pot system or indeed the loo rolls idea  and if so what do you plant in them your replies will be much appreciated

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: paper pots
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 13:36 »
Last year I tried using loo rolls (and kitchen paper rolls cut up). I found that they went moldy more often than not.

For most plants that I start indoors in pots first, I go with re-useable items such as yogurt cups or inexpensive plastic disposable cups (drainage holes cut in the bottom of course). Once the plants are transplanted out,, clean them well and store until the next time.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 15:58 »
I tried the cardboard toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, they never rotted down

Just went mouldy, maybe its what they are made from these days, they dont break down or rot, just get very soggy

Now I just put a couple of seeds in a seed tray, cling film over the top and put em on the window sill
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 12:14 »
Have a read of this topic:

Richy’s Paper Pots

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 15:39 »
Now my milk comes in plastic 'bottles' rather than in cartons, I just cut them in half and make a few holes in the bottom - hey presto free pots  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 15:53 »
 good reading Auntie it looks like from what's been said  I will be going back to paper pots maybe they need to be on the dry side when in paper ?

as for the cardboard rolls  there in the recycle bin :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 16:46 »
With any form of paper or cardboard pots, when you plant them out you should make sure that the paper does not stand up above the earth level, or it will act as a wick and dry out (thus drying out the roots).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wighty

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 18:46 »
I saved the cups we got our coffee in, polystrene , if I remember rightly,  didn't work, neither did using the
  cardboard from loo rolls, as we  only then grew a crop of some sort of fungi. I went back to Richie type  paper tubes, buried them below the ground line and never had a problem. Miss Richie and DD's advice on here.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 19:25 »
Parsnips are best sown direct into a prepared bed and always use fresh seed!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 21:06 by AndyRVTR »

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2023, 20:51 »
Spot on Andy!

They're so fractious when their sown, and need no more that a wing and a prayer to get going, as long as they have plenty of grub down in the soil where you hope they'll eventually arrive!

When I see carrots and parsnips in packs in garden centres, I do wince a bit, as they're usually doomed to failure...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 21:34 »
Spot on Andy!

They're so fractious when their sown, and need no more that a wing and a prayer to get going, as long as they have plenty of grub down in the soil where you hope they'll eventually arrive!

When I see carrots and parsnips in packs in garden centres, I do wince a bit, as they're usually doomed to failure...

I was stupid (or desperate  ::)) enough to buy some parsnips in modules from the GC. They never got beyond the 'spiralling in the shape of a large cotton reel' stage in the ground ...  :wacko:

I have friends who swear by the starting them off in modules and then planting them out as soon as you see signs of life. I don't have anything against that approach, except that I am far to disorganised to ensure they actually get planted out when they should!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 21:35 by Yorkie »

pepsi100

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 00:51 »
I've never had much luck with parsnips, they just grew big and bushy, nothing underground

Now reference paper, I've tried newspaper, had some results with that, jut fold em into a cone shape and bury them below the soil level and just dont over water them

Card board tubes get shredded and put in a composter, they didnt rot, just get soggy, no seeds germinated at all

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 12:10 »
I too have found paper pots and loo rolls to be too much of a pain. I just use module trays now from containerwise, they will outlast me.  Also I always direct sow parsnips too, first try is around the equinox, then they will inevitably get eaten by slugs so resow in April and May if needed. I think you can sow as late as June, although I suppose they won't get as large. I like them big, easier to use and any damage to them is less of an issue

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2023, 14:04 »
it looks like loo roll holders and paper pots are a no no as I said recycle recycle there in the bin so back to growing parsnips and I take your point sowing in the grounds a better idea maybe best to direct sow April ?

I think I'm going with the idea of making a hole around 30cm filling with compost 2 seeds per station the only problem is weeds usually grow faster than the parsnip seed maybe leave a wider space between the rows and plants ?

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2023, 15:58 »
In the past I always used and had no problems with loo rolls but this year and last they did not rot down very well and I will be going back to paper which I found OK but using more layers.

xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Paper Pots

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 20:40
by Parsnip
xx
paper pots

Started by archies plot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 21:02
by archies plot
xx
What else in paper pots?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 07:46
by DD.

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 53 queries.