Walk in greenhouse

• 12 Replies

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
Walk in greenhouse
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:33 »
Hello all,
Has anyone got a plastic walk in greenhouse, made by (not sure if I am allowed to put the makers name on here) it begins with G and ends with N. As it is not practical for me to have a glass one in my garden, I need to have something to grow veg from seeds for my new allotment. Just wondering if anyone can give me pros and cons on the subject, any advice would be much appreciated before I order one.
Thanks
Mandy
 :unsure:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Walk in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:39 »
I have a small one  :blush: in the garden and it ratttels around in the wind and the glass one is solid.  If theats all you can have due to younge children go for it that are hard work when you have hot days to stop them cooking seedlings but if you monitor them they ok.
Thanks
Kris

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 13:04 »
Mine is 6 x8 and has polycarbonate panels, is that the type you mean?  I went for it for safety/reasons and it has definitely been worth it.  A couple of the panels have needed to be silicone taped, but if you are handy you could silicone gel the whole lot.

Feel free to ask anything else and I will do my best to answer!

tode

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 13:25 »
Not sure which make you mean, Lupin, but better to get double-wall polycarb than the thin sheets, if your budget will allow.

savbo

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 14:31 »
i think tode it's the green flexible fabric type...

a few on our allotment site seem to be surviving, though they're all fairly sheltered and heavily fastened down

if it's all you can fit in, why not? for the same price you might get lucky on ebay but you could be waiting a long time... I nearly bought one for back garden but then struck lucky on freegle..

Weatherwatcher

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 15:33 »
We have two of the brand you mentioned, Lupin. Both are walk-in, one of them being a lean-to. I discovered that with the 6 x 8 one (normal shaped one), I've had to put in extra ventilation. Apart from that, if you're on a shoestring budget like us, they do seem to be worth it.
I use the lean-to for starting seedlings in (built shelves for it) and in the 6 x 8 I use polystyrene boxes to grow the transplanted seedlings.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 15:35 by Weatherwatcher »

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 15:46 »
Sorry I didn`t describe it very well, this is the discription fo the website.

This hot house is ideal for propogating seeds, growing plants and vegetables. Easy to assemble and attractive, this greenhouse is a great addition to any garden.

Features:
- Roll-up zipped front door for easy access
- Includes guy ropes and pegs for extra stability
- Robust tubular steel construction
- Assembled in minutes.
The cheapest one I have found is £38.00
The shelving is extra for 2 its £28.00.

Thanks everyone.
Mandy

Weatherwatcher

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 15:55 »
Sorry I didn`t describe it very well, this is the discription fo the website.

This hot house is ideal for propogating seeds, growing plants and vegetables. Easy to assemble and attractive, this greenhouse is a great addition to any garden.

Features:
- Roll-up zipped front door for easy access
- Includes guy ropes and pegs for extra stability
- Robust tubular steel construction
- Assembled in minutes.
The cheapest one I have found is £38.00
The shelving is extra for 2 its £28.00.

Thanks everyone.
Mandy
Yep, that's the type our 6 x 8 one is. You will need to put in extra ventilation if you're going to grow plants in it permanently. The rolled up door alone isn't sufficient for a reasonable airflow and it can get b***dy hot!

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 20:36 »
Hi Dreaming,
Sorry to be a pain but how do you put extra vent. in them.
Mandy

Weatherwatcher

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 01:05 »
Hi Mandy. What I did was not exactly a professional job by any stretch of the imagination. So far, I cut a square flap near the top of the back wall (opposite to the roll-up door) and taped mesh over it. The way I did it means I can fasten it open if I wish or have it closed.
I also need to put side vents in sometime, which I'm aiming to do using Velcro strips. Same principle as the back vent but a) better looking and b) easier to use.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 22:03 »
Hi Weatherwatcher thank you so much for the advice, I think I will go ahead and order one and give the ventilation a go, my hubby is very good at transforming things so im sure will have the best way to grown my seeds as much as we can afford anyway.  Thanks everyone else for your advise its much appreciated.  Mandy :)

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 10:03 »
I've got one of these greenhouses in the garden as we don't have much room.  It is well secured at the side of my daughter's play house.

It is our first year with it and we had a good yield of cherry toms from within, and was very good in spring for bringing on seedlings like chillies, sunflower and cabbage.

We have a small tear in the roof now but have repaired this with duck tape.  Don't know if it will survive the winter tho' although replacement covers are only about £12 apparently.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 10:28 »
Thanks peanut so ideal for what I want, even if I have to replace cover after a year it still alot cheaper than buying a greenhouse.

xx
Strawberries gone for a walk!

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 12, 2015, 11:03
by maddave
xx
Horsetail can walk!!

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 16:32
by grendel
xx
what can i sow in the greenhouse now?

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 07:45
by DD.
question
New Greenhouse

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:47
by Aidy

Page created in 0.756 seconds with 36 queries.