Chrysanthemums

• 35 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Chrysanthemums
« on: November 10, 2009, 13:39 »
In a complete moment of madness I planted my chrysanths between the sunflowers and jerusalem artichokes - never giving a thought to the fact that the arti's and sunflowers would soar away and the chrysanths would be slower. Obviously my poor chrysanths suffered dreadfully from lack of light, but they have survived and against all odds have flowered. I want to keep them for next year, even though they are sad and spindly, but have no idea how I do this - cuttings, dig up the whole plant? - your thoughts as ever would be appreciated.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Chrysanthemums
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 18:48 »
Chrysanths grow easily from cuttings, but if the plants are not too big they are easy to move and trim back ready for new growth next year. Bit of tomato food now and again from spring onwards and they'll do you proud  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 21:04 »
Thanks Sunshine great advice as always!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 21:05 »
You're welcome Hey Jude  :)

neal

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 22:39 »
This is what i do with mine (250 in total). I will be diggig them up over this weekend.
Each one will have a label attached after they are cut back to 6". Then placed in boxes
3"to 4" deep after removing surplus soil. I cover the roots known as stools with potting
compost not too deep about the same depth as in the garden will do. You can pack them
in close together. I use washing up bowls and get 12 per bowl. Give them a light watering just enough to wash the compost round the roots. I place mine in the polytunnel but a cold frame or cold greenhouse will do. I find that frost will not harm them the compost has frozen on mine with no problems slugs do more damage so a few pellets will help. As the weather gets warmer take cuttings when they are about 2" long and with a little gentle heat they take about 14 days to root.   Good luck       

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:47 »
This is what i do with mine (250 in total). I will be diggig them up over this weekend.
Each one will have a label attached after they are cut back to 6". Then placed in boxes
3"to 4" deep after removing surplus soil. I cover the roots known as stools with potting
compost not too deep about the same depth as in the garden will do. You can pack them
in close together. I use washing up bowls and get 12 per bowl. Give them a light watering just enough to wash the compost round the roots. I place mine in the polytunnel but a cold frame or cold greenhouse will do. I find that frost will not harm them the compost has frozen on mine with no problems slugs do more damage so a few pellets will help. As the weather gets warmer take cuttings when they are about 2" long and with a little gentle heat they take about 14 days to root.   Good luck       

That's really useful!  ;) Thanks!!

I had some chrysanths on the plot from when my father had a row. He always left them where they were over winter. Needless to say I lost all but one plant a couple of years back - I think they had a rough (hot dry) summer that year so did not survive.  :( - My fault.

I know some types are hardier than others - having replaced the ones I lost I will follow your advice and take the new ones in this year - certainly cheaper and I'll have a go at cuttings.  8)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 13:39 »
Neal, I'm the proud owner of a brand new polytunnel so following your great advice I shall christen it with my chrysanths - that is, if it ever stops raining.........!

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 21:11 »
Neal, I'm the proud owner of a brand new polytunnel so following your great advice I shall christen it with my chrysanths - that is, if it ever stops raining.........!

Chrysanthemums in a polytunnel! Lucky thing. How big is the tunnel and what else is going in it? Will you grow some of the more delicate chrysanths in there as well as over-wintering some?

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 14:17 »
Hi Learner, the tunnel is 20ft by 10ft - it's my Christmas and birthday present for about the next 5 years!!!! I have to admit that I wanted it more for those things that just won't grow on the patio; cucumbers which are a disaster outside no matter how much I coax them, I'd love to have a go at melons and it would be fab to have a great crop of tomatoes before the flippin' blight gets them. Truth be told I've been so busy on the allotment that I haven't really given the tunnel any proper thought (I hope that doesn't sound blase) - the tunnels were on offer so my lovely husband told me to order one as he knew he'd be the one putting it up and wanted to do it in half decent weather! Any suggestions would be most welcome - I don't want to end up as "all the gear and no idea"!!!!!

neal

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 20:14 »
Don't get the wrong idea the chrysanths i grow are all of the early type both sprays and
 They are only placed indoors for the winter when the cuttings have been taken then
the stools are then discarded. My tunnel is 30x12 so at this time of the year there is
plenty of room for the 30 or so boxes. When the cuttings are taken they go into the
greenhouse (10x6) over some bottom heat, when rooted they are potted on into 3"pots and later into 5" pots. I pot up around 300 these then go back into the tunnel at this time it is almost full. They stay here untill early May with plenty of ventilation on warm days.
Then second week in May i start to plant out the best 250 the rest taken by a few of the
older plot holders who kindly open and close the tunnel doors for me on warm days  ;).
They are not everyones cup of tea but to see them in all their glory is a wonderfull sight
and the do make a very good cut flower they last a good 10 days in a large vase.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 21:33 by neal »

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 22:02 »
I bet they look stunning Neal.

Brambles

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 22:18 »
Thank you Neal.    I don't have any chrysanthemums as yet, but they are on my list for next year.   I will make a note of your instructions and HOPEFULLY I will enjoy them for many years :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 00:20 »
Hi Learner, the tunnel is 20ft by 10ft - it's my Christmas and birthday present for about the next 5 years!!!! ....................Truth be told I've been so busy on the allotment that I haven't really given the tunnel any proper thought ..........Any suggestions would be most welcome - I don't want to end up as "all the gear and no idea"!!!!!

The PT sounds wonderful... great to be inside it on a damp and chilly day. I am envious. Maybe I could give myself a retirement present (very early!!) ..... there again it is nice to have a dream.

I'd certainly put tomatoes in there....my outside ones have been flattened by blight for the last two years. Early dwarf beans? Maybe a daft idea due to the need for pollination - I'm not sure. Melons, a few of the more tender type of chrysanthemums, ..... Given enough time I am sure I would find it too small no matter how huge it was!

A chap not far from my plot has a PT and it looks so inviting both early on in the season and late in the year when he has things green and lush while the rest of us out in the chill.

I wish you the very best of luck with it and loads of fun!  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 01:03 »
So what happens next?

My chrysanthemums seem to have survived (leaves and all) the last 10 days of snow and ice nestling in the greenhouse under fleece. I plonked them in boxes and cycled the lot round to my dad's warmer lean-to greenhouse.

Questions...
Should I check to see that they are remaining damp but not wet or are they ok on the dry side?

When can / should I consider taking cuttings and how is the best way to go about doing it?

Any advice would be welcomed - thanks  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 18:03 »
Chrysanths need to be kept just moist when in this state, and once they are in the warmer house then they should start to sprout and you can give them  a little bit more.

Once the shoots are about 2 ins long you can cut them off the stool with a tiny bit of the original left at the base. After that trim off all except for the top leaves and pot up the cuttings as you usually would, either in trays or round the edge of pots..

I did them in pots last year as I only had a few. Potted them on once they had enough roots, and that was it tbh.  :D :D :D

xx
Chrysanthemums

Started by rugbymad40 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 22:44
by buckie
xx
Chrysanthemums

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 18:13
by Elaine G
xx
BIG bally chrysanthemums

Started by babe on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 22:35
by neal
clip
Pinching out chrysanthemums?

Started by Nobbie on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 20:20
by jezza

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 28 queries.