Post by Dannie - frustrated at not getting a plot

• 31 Replies

Sid

• Experienced Member
Re: Post by Dannie - frustrated at not getting a plot
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 09:30 »
Hi,
have you tried the land share site,it's how we got ours.
Good luck!
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

zazen999

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 18:42 »
Not got an allotment and not after one - but just had an observation that i'm hoping someone can comment on.

If the waiting lists are so big how come some people have got multiple plots?

Did they get them when there were more plots than people wanting plots and now won't give them up (understandably) or did they put their name down for another one and went through the same waiting process for the second plot (is priority given to people without plots?).

They got them when the councils wanted to sell off the land, so took them on to keep the plots occupied; and probably worked hard on them to keep them used and don't really want to give them up to new holders who could come along and undo all their hard work]....probably.

dannie

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 19:01 »
thank you so much everyone ;) ;)

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 11:46 »
Do you have your name down at more than one site? I applied to three in my area and cancelled two applications when one came up. I was on the list for about 8 months and was given a very overgrown plot that had been abandoned by it's previous tenant  :ohmy:

How about giving the site manager a call to make an appointment to view the site? This will show them you are still keen and also you will be able to see first-hand if there are any neglected plots  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 12:19 »
Not got an allotment and not after one - but just had an observation that i'm hoping someone can comment on.

Did they get them when there were more plots than people wanting plots and now won't give them up (understandably) or did they put their name down for another one and went through the same waiting process for the second plot (is priority given to people without plots?).

They got them when the councils wanted to sell off the land, so took them on to keep the plots occupied; and probably worked hard on them to keep them used and don't really want to give them up to new holders who could come along and undo all their hard work]....probably.

Exactly.

I have 3 plots - well 2 & a half actually.

They were taken on in turn, having got each under control. This was at a time when there was hardly any interest & sites were being sold off left right & centre. The first three plots I rented are now under buildings.

Were it not for a handfull of people keeping one or two sites ticking over, there would be even less available now.

I would feel very aggrieved if any of mine were taken off me. No one else wanted them at the time.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Nobbie

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 13:11 »
If the allotment officer does not reply to your letters, then next time you write simply state that you are requesting the information under the Freedom of Information Act. By law they are then required to respond within 28 days. It's a bit heavy handed for something as simple as where you are on the list, but if they don't give you the coutesy of a reply they've asked for it.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 13:18 »
shame you are not near me, i have half a plot that i am waiting to rent out!

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 13:20 »

Exactly.

I have 3 plots - well 2 & a half actually.

They were taken on in turn, having got each under control. This was at a time when there was hardly any interest & sites were being sold off left right & centre. The first three plots I rented are now under buildings.

Were it not for a handfull of people keeping one or two sites ticking over, there would be even less available now.

I would feel very aggrieved if any of mine were taken off me. No one else wanted them at the time.

Fair enough - I thought it might be something like that - was just interested, thanks for the replies.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 18:10 »

Why don't you just give it to the next person on the waiting list?  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 21:10 »

Why don't you just give it to the next person on the waiting list?  :)

why didn't i think of that?  ::)

only have one person on the waiting list and they want  full plot

dannie

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 21:14 »
thank you so much everyone for the replies :blush, comments and advise, and also your concern  what a great response i am overwhelmed

bigben

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 12:12 »
I have emailed my allotment office twice - once they did not reply, the second time took over 9 weeks. I found ringing them up got a better result.

Since Feb I have moved from 15th to 4th (as of this week). There are still allotments on the site that are totally overgrown and dont seem to have been visited since Christmas yet they tell me they are trying to evict people! Good luck!

dannie

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 21:20 »
yes bigben it is frustrating when you ask politely and get ignored, on my council e_mail site for allotments it states "e- mails may not be replied to" what is the use of having an e-mail address in the first place!!!!!! :mad: anyway at least you know you are moving up the list which is encouriging, so good luck to you  hope you get a plot soon. 8) 8) 8)

spudgun

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25 »
you might find that the waiting list is not all that accurate anyway - some people will be on the waiting list for several sites (they are not centrally managed in these parts!).

You might find yourself hop skipping and jumping up the list - loads of people will give up waiting, and others will get a plot on a different site...

There is a site near me that borders a grave yard, the joke around here is that you will get a plot in the grave yard long before you get one at those allotments.

Are there any other sites nearby? I was really surprised at finding 4 within 5 miles of me - only ever notised one of them!

woodsmoke

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 17:48 »
Look around a bit.  I asked at the town council but they did not tell me about a site that is run by its own association where there was a separate list (still town council land though).  Is there more than one site?  Also when people don't keep up their plots the 'management' can be very slow to oust them - one next to me was untended almost nine months before being passed on to someone else.  There are some other options in some areas - this scheme set up by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall and even National Trust properties are setting up allotments.  If you can get quite a few people together you will have power - there is an obligation to provide allotments. 
Good luck and don't lose heart.

xx
feeling frustrated

Started by annie b on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 23:32
by peterjf
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
First post... and a sad day!

Started by Tom Good on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 11, 2006, 15:41
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How big is '5 post'

Started by jeffers71 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 17:31
by Yabba

Page created in 2.764 seconds with 36 queries.