First post... and a sad day!

• 7 Replies

Tom Good

• http://www.the2fbs.co.uk
« on: August 10, 2006, 16:15 »
Hi to you all, I have been watching the forum for a few months now, but as we have only had our allotment for a short time and we have been doing more clearing and digging than planting so this is my first post.

I had planned to post a question this weekend, but after this mornings events I thought I would ask the question now.

First todays catastrophy.... as I said we have not really planted much this year, some tomatoes, carrots, and some salad plants, we have also constucted 7 raised beds from scaffold boards which have yet to be filled, and we are still clearing some of the plot.

I popped over to our plot this morning to water our two new apple trees, and I found one of our two cucumber plants had snapped in the wind last night, as it snapped low down the stem we lost the five new cucumbers that were growing, the point to this information is...when I went home to tell my wife her reaction of total horror and loss (which I found quite amusing) made me wonder if anyone knows of some kind of counselling service for the loss of crops :)

She will kill me for sharing this...  I know she gets upset when any of the pets have died, but cucumber plants.... what if we were to lose a whole crop of beans or something.

Oh yes...my question, Soil testing, is it something you would recommend or is it not really important?

I will of course be asking many questions in the future, thanks in advance for your views.

Dave.

milkman

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 16:52 »
Crikey...that's really bad news...but you have only lost one cucumber plant right? So veg life goes on.  I think I would only really get upset if someone ever dared to vandalise my crops - maybe this is the approach to adopt when consoling your inconsolable wife? :? Good luck with your other crops and maybe think about putting up windbreaks!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 17:01 »
I would recommed testing your soil every year and definately on a new plot.  Working from the results - you have all winter to lime, fertise and balance the plot for whatever you plan growing next year.
Kits are relatively inexpensive and simple to use.  If you are lucky there will be someone on your site who already has one and can let you borrow it or even assist you in your first test.

And your poor wife.  This failure will not be your last, it is a sad fact or gardening life that for every hundred or so successes you are bound to have a failure.  Chin up and relish those cucumbers you have left even more.  The moral of the story is to learn from your mistakes to make yourself a better gardener.  Next year when you grow cucumbers out side you will know to protect them from the wind.

Very Best of Luck
Regards - Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Tom Good

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 17:11 »
Well it was our first loss, I'm sure it will get easier with all the rest of the mistakes we are no doubt going to make,....

And of course it was mentioned very tounge in cheek... I did find it amusing though when she came home this afternoon still upset about it....

It could have been worse, we could have been flying out of Heathrow today....

Tom Good

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 17:16 »
Ps... Thanks for the info about the soil testing, I have seen a kit that serves for up to 5 seasons, so I will send of for that, as we are using raised beds in places I will have to tst that soil as and when we fill them.

noshed

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 18:59 »
You wait till your carefully nurtured seedlings get munched by slugs - bad words may be heard.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 21:56 »
Or the Pigeons, Foxes, Badgers, Rabbits, Deer or Flea beetle arrive and start munching!  Not such a harsh place the allotment.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 15:41 »
I don't think your wife is being silly Tom, I was devastated and so angry when I found one of my 2 first melon plants dragged halfway across the polytunnel path.  I was ready to kill whoever or whatever had done it, but luckily for her, the dog is still alive!!!!!  She thought one of my 3 little melons was a tennis ball because it had her teeth marks in it.  Imagine her surprise when she found the rest of the melons and plant following her!!!! lol.  Now one of the little melons on the other plant has fallen off!!!!

xx
Where has my post gone

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 22:09
by mumofstig
xx
How big is '5 post'

Started by jeffers71 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 17:31
by Yabba
xx
another pea post

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 22, 2015, 08:31
by 3759allen
xx
Asparagus through the post

Started by Peas let my pumpkins grow on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 17:44
by Kristen

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 36 queries.