My polytunnel tried to escape

• 57 Replies

Thrift

Re: My polytunnel tried to escape
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 12:16 »
I removed the cover from mine last year and now have a wonky, bent frame with a few bars snapped off.  :unsure:

Am wondering if I can bind it together and straighten it out to try & get a bit of use this spring. Maybe I could put posts into the ground inside and then tie it to the posts.

They are just a load of rubbish...... you get what you pay for !!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 16:11 »
I removed the cover from mine last year and now have a wonky, bent frame with a few bars snapped off.  :unsure:

Am wondering if I can bind it together and straighten it out to try & get a bit of use this spring. Maybe I could put posts into the ground inside and then tie it to the posts.

They are just a load of rubbish...... you get what you pay for !!

Now that's the truest statement Thrift.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 16:16 »
You either get what you pay for or get what you build........and the latter is often stronger without costing more :)..........depends on who's building it of course :lol: :lol:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 16:16 »
You either get what you pay for or get what you build........and the latter is often stronger without costing more :)..........depends on who's building it of course :lol: :lol:

;)

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 16:22 »
true im thinking of making a new frame from galvanised metal congruet... the plastic is good enough isnt it??? I heard you can send away for custom cut polythene if the plastic isnt good enough

lightyears

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 19:11 »
i have an eBay special tunnel, buried all sides with sleepers and planted raspberry canes around it, its not blown down or even moved in 2 and a half years, they are not rubbish, it some folk are stupid and do not think about what the wind will do in certain situations. i predict mine will last maybe 2 more winters then will be replaced with another 25 quid ebay jobby.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 19:21 »
i have an eBay special tunnel, buried all sides with sleepers and planted raspberry canes around it, its not blown down or even moved in 2 and a half years, they are not rubbish, it some folk are stupid and do not think about what the wind will do in certain situations. i predict mine will last maybe 2 more winters then will be replaced with another 25 quid ebay jobby.

Excuse me!! Mine, in the garden, had paving slabs on the skirts and had guy lines crossed over the top to tie it to the hedge :ohmy: The wind buckled the frame twice and now the plastic has gone porous all in 1 year. Please don't tell me that that is because I'm stupid >:(
Good luck with yours you have been lucky so far :)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 19:53 »
Hey MoS! Anyone who infers you are less than a goddess??? .....

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 20:41 »

Excuse me!! Mine, in the garden, had paving slabs on the skirts and had guy lines crossed over the top to tie it to the hedge :ohmy: The wind buckled the frame twice and now the plastic has gone porous all in 1 year. Please don't tell me that that is because I'm stupid >:(
Good luck with yours you have been lucky so far :)

mum of stig is right i had it tied down with industrial fish wire and 3'' steel rods driven into the ground and it still broke twice and it wasn't even that windy :mad:

Thrift

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 20:57 »

What's the betting this smug person doesn't let on if it blows to shreds next week ?  :D :D

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 21:01 by Thrift »

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 21:41 »
what do you think the minimum steel width for a home-made tunnel

Salmo

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 23:42 »
Tales of these polytunnels falling apart occur quite frequently on here. They would appear to be poor quality and not really fit for porpose.

I presume that at least some of these have been bought as a result of seeing them advertised at the top of the screen.

How about a bit of action from the Regulators! Do everybody a favour and refuse to accept this advertisment.

Poolfield2

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 23:42 »
We have a real heavy duty polytunnel and in extreme weather a couple of years ago the hoops at one end were distorted by the wind, it looks as though an elephant sat on it :lol:

The light weight ones would need to be in a VERY sheltered place and well weighted down

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 23:54 »
John needs the adverts on here to be able to keep these forums going.  I don't think he picks and chooses every advert for its quality.  It's up to Google.

People could buy these polytunnels from anywhere, not just here.  Sometimes it really is a case of you get what you pay for.

We got our polytunnel 2nd hand 4 years ago it was 30ft, but because of the condition of the poly we made it 24ft and it cost us £60.  We dismantled it ourselves.  It had been on the original site for 5 years and they say never re-use the polythene.  Well the poly had some rips in it and a few more by the time we eventually got the thing erected.  The ends of the poly are dug deep into the ground and I repaired the rips and gaps with the special tape you can buy. Now the rats and chickens have made even more holes in the poly, but even in windy Lincolnshire, it is still standing!

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 00:05 »
you can get a plastic greenhouse from b+q for £160. outlast any polytunnel by 15 years. the initial outlay would save you a great deal of money and stress in the long run
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

xx
polytunnel help

Started by jackie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 23:14
by RichardA
xx
polytunnel

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 21:15
by Lee1978
xx
polytunnel

Started by losco on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 20:59
by losco
xx
Polytunnel hot bed

Started by indigojac on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 13:55
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 1.104 seconds with 30 queries.