My polytunnel tried to escape

• 57 Replies

Salmo

Re: My polytunnel tried to escape
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 10:51 »
Tales of these polytunnels falling apart occur quite frequently on here. They would appear to be poor quality and not really fit for porpose.

I presume that at least some of these have been bought as a result of seeing them advertised at the top of the screen.

How about a bit of action from the Regulators! Do everybody a favour and refuse to accept this advertisment.

John needs the adverts on here to be able to keep these forums going.  I don't think he picks and chooses every advert for its quality.  It's up to Google.

So it all comes down to money?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 12:17 »
No it doesn't all come down to Money, I do not know all the details, you'd have to ask John about the details.  But with having Google ads on here, it means we get a good set of forums with a lot of nice people and a lot of good experience for free!

But with Adverts its the same as anywhere, you are free to choose who you buy from!

Poolfield2

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 22:51 »
you can get a plastic greenhouse from b+q for £160. outlast any polytunnel by 15 years. the initial outlay would save you a great deal of money and stress in the long run

Whilst this may be tue I don't think they come 14' x 34' which is the size I needed :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 00:09 »
In my personal humble opinion I think a fair bit of things blowing down is to do with wind ::) 
[I personally have suffered with quite a bit of this over the years  :tongue2:]

A while back my "professionally errected" alluminium 6'x8' greenhouse disappeared into next-door's hedge.... the braced frame buckled and swayed, the glass shattered and the whole thing ressembled a squashed carboard box.... and this was the 2nd replacement on the same site...  >:(

I gave up and went for a 8'x10' lean-to version glued to the garage wall... so far it is still standing.

Polytunnels have to cope with a fair degree of force once the wind hits them and even the best braced and anchored of them are at risk in our very interesting climate...
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

goodegg

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 08:21 »
i have bought one of these cheapo polly tunnels when it arrived i was not impressed but now i think its great i do have it in the little greenhouse however i made a frame all aroun the bottom with greenhouse rafters got copper pipe brackets fixed the frame pipes to the rafters with these its 4.5 mt long i wouldnt think it would last long ouut side where my site is the wind comes up from the sea very strongly. picture from my site.here
DSCF1523.JPG

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47 »
Seems to me that people are reinforcing these things with materials they could use to build one from scratch with!

There's a lot of "They're fine if..........." quotes when it comes to these things. That would suggest to me that they're far from fine!

As an aside, goodegg, what's the lighthouse name? I've been to Guernsey, and visited them, but can't bring that one to mind.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Thrift

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 10:26 »
I knew I'd made a big mistake as soon as the postman handed me the very lightweight box containing my tunnel  :D :D :D

goodegg

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 20:21 »
dd its the hanoise light house  im not sure if spelling is right  its on west coast

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 21:09 »
Ah - OK - Les Hanoise -it looks like it's a continution of your plot!!!

You farm the sea as well?? :lol:

goodegg

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 16:46 »
its about three miles down the road from my plot but the wind whistles up there but a lovelly veiw non the less

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 20:57 »
mine blew over and broke so i got it fixed and tied it down but it broke again to be honest they are terrible :mad:
They are very bad and near on impossible to secure, spend more money and buy something decent.. Have any of the moderators had one these as i am suprised they are advertising them... Again no offence to anyone but in my opinion they are a rubbish, flimsy waste of money... sorry :( :(
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 21:08 »
I have one and agree with you!

However, the ads (which pay for the site) are powered by Google and there is little control over what is advertised.

It's all down to buyer beware and there are enough warnings on here about them.....and not all from me :lol: :lol:

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 21:45 »
you can get a plastic greenhouse from b+q for £160. outlast any polytunnel by 15 years. the initial outlay would save you a great deal of money and stress in the long run
hi could you post a link to this please as i am unable to find it :) :)

thank you

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 10:53 »
the cheapest I could find in B & Q is £129 for frame plus £74 for the polycarb glazing.
link
but you can often get bargains in store not shown on the web

Thrift

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 07:24 »
Sunday was a lovely day, sun shining, warm, Spring in the air  :) :)

So, decided to do a restoration job on the tunnel. I taped the broken bits of frame and bent the others back into shape then positioned it with scaffold planks running the length of it on both sides.

Now to secure it. I found a roll of builders' damp course poly stuff which I cut into numerous 6" lengths. I then used these at intervals along the length of the lower frame to nail to the planks and thus lash the frame down. Next on with the cover!

Suddenly, Spring disappeared and March Gales returned !!  :ohmy: :ohmy:
Relentlessly.

The wind is still blowing but the tunnel is still there......I can't believe it and it's now Tuesday !

xx
polytunnel

Started by losco on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 20:59
by losco
xx
Polytunnel hot bed

Started by indigojac on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 13:55
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Polytunnel

Started by matthew2riches on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 09:56
by mumofstig
xx
What's best under a polytunnel?

Started by apywell on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2007, 14:45
by slowcompost

Page created in 1.065 seconds with 38 queries.