another raspberry question

• 12 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

another raspberry question
« on: October 27, 2009, 17:57 »
Much to the amusement of the old-timers OH and I carefully built raspberry supports last year and planted Autumn Bliss, which have produced a few fruit this year. They are planted through weed suppressing membrane.
I would like to interplant them with early summer fruiting raspberries, to make good use of the supports, so here's the question:-
Should I remove the membrane so the new shoots can pop up, or will they just push their way through anyway?
&
Will i get totally confused growing both varieties together, as I believe summer fruiters are a lot bigger and should be easier to spot??
thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: another raspberry question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 18:10 »
If the membrane is sufficiently durable, the shoots will not be able to push their way through without holes being made for them, I would have thought.

I don't grow raspberries but others have asked the interplanting question recently and I believe that answers included a comment that it is harder to prune where they are mixed together; if they are separated then you just go down the row and apply the appropriate regime to the whole lot.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 18:12 »
Thanks Yorkie - I might bung the autumn bliss somewhere else then once they're dormant and put the new ones in instead - not sure how they'll take to being moved again though!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 18:14 »
I would advise against planting them together, you'd lose the ease with which you can prune the Autumn ones.

My Autumn Bliss are actually larger than the summer ones we inherited and if planted together would actually overwhelm them. The "hedge" of raspberries is now at least 32' x 6' - plus overhang.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 19:23 »
I would advise against planting them together, you'd lose the ease with which you can prune the Autumn ones.

My Autumn Bliss are actually larger than the summer ones we inherited and if planted together would actually overwhelm them.

Ecky thump  :ohmy:  So I might need the supports for the Autumn bliss then DD?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 19:28 »
I don't support them, but if I was desperate for space I'd tie them back a bit.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 20:43 »
I've got Autumn Bliss on the allotment and for the first couple of years, I grew them without any supports at all. It worked but they did flop over and I lost quite a bit of fruit as it got muddy/squashed/munched

So a couple of years ago built some supports. They consist a central post with a cross bar top and bottom and wire strung end to end if that makes sense  :unsure:  I've got 2 rows of what were 5 canes when they went in, but it's a double hedge now like DD has. The wire holds it in & I thread the escapee canes back inside.

Has made a huge difference to yield - get loads of fab huge fruits, so I'd go for more supports.

The old timers love my contraptions too - you should have seen them when I was bodging....sorry constructing....my veg cage  :lol:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 23:06 »
Hiya newshoot - whereabouts in Reading is your plot? I'm on the Reading Road site in Woodley  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:53 »
Hmmm ... interesting point.

I've had my Raspberries [both Summer and Autumn fruiting] two seasons now.  Have had good crops and haven't got around to putting up any supporting wires yet ... and nothing has fallen over.

Am I not feeding them enough, been lucky, or something else do you think?

tode

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 11:05 »
Some rasps are 'stockier' than others.  I've always found my Summer ones to be shorter and stronger than the Autumn fruiting.  This year though, they've both gone bananas: the Autumn ones are 8 feet plus !    At least I don't have to bend down to pick em   :D

I'd put up wires at about 4foot6, but am having a real job supporting em this year.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 17:26 »
Hi Janeymiddlewife - I'm on the Oakley Road site in Caversham. Clay soil but good once you have got enough compost into it  :D

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 19:11 »
Hi Janeymiddlewife - I'm on the Oakley Road site in Caversham. Clay soil but good once you have got enough compost into it  :D

Is that the one behind the school, on a bit of a hill??

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 20:12 »
No - it's at the end of the road the school is on. You turn left up the hill at the crossroads/mini roundabout thing.

Ours has a slope but the one behind the school needs ropes and crampons. The council offered me a plot there but it was mostly trees from what I could see  :lol:

xx
Raspberry question

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 00:19
by sclarke624
xx
Raspberry Question

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 19:10
by beansticks
xx
Can someone help me with a raspberry question?

Started by barefoot nellie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 20:06
by gobs
xx
Raspberry Question!

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 20:22
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 28 queries.