Mesh weld from which ebay seller

• 29 Replies

carolbriar

Mesh weld from which ebay seller
« on: October 21, 2009, 15:46 »
If anyone has bought mesh weld on ebay and have been happy with it - can you let me know which seller (and whether it was 19g or 16g) it was so I can take a look.  I am just about to embark on a journey of getting chickens and want to get the mesh weld for the run.  I need a strong one as we have foxes around us.   I live in Northern Ireland and it is sooooo expensive here.  It looks cheaper to get it shipped here even with the exhorbitant carriage prices!  Has anyone got any from Hills of Devon as their prices look very good.  I wanted a recommend as once I order it I am stuck with what I get and don't want to make a mistake.  All help would be gratefully received. Thanks.... :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mesh weld from which ebay seller
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 16:00 »
lots of us have bought from Hills and their service is excellent plus they offer the best prices around. 19 gauge is supposed to be fox proof but 16 is stronger and thicker so the choice is yours.
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 16:05 »
Thanks for that.  I will have another look at Hill's website.  It is always very useful getting a recommend. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 16:10 »
I agree with Joy, we buy from Hills of Devon too.  they are very reasonable and quick delivery too!!!

noshed

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 16:24 »
http://www.devoran-metals.co.uk/garden/WELDMESHCLEARANCE09.pdf

See petmesh at the bottom. No idea if it's the right stuff
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 16:32 by noshed »
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 16:53 »
Thanks for your replies.  I will phone Hills of Devon tomorrow as they have the taller 48" x 30 meters which is what I need x 2.  I just hope their carriage costs that they quoted weren't a mistake as it seemed very reasonable compared to some!  I have decided to go for the 19g as it is quite a bit cheaper than the 16g and everyone says it is fox proof which is great.  We will probably also put an electric wire about 8" out and up round the base as I would like to make sure nothing gets in!  I've become a bit paranoid after seeing the posts about the fox getting in and killing the hens - couldn't face that!   I am getting very excited about getting the hens but will have to wait until the coup is ready and the fencing up.  This probably isn't the right time of year to be getting them but once I have everything ready will not want to wait really. 

I did try the link that you gave me but they didn't have what I am after unfortunately but they were very reasonable too!

Thank you

crh75

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 17:20 »
I bought mine from hills of devon through ebay. It was delivered very quickly. I haven't used yet, I have next week off work so intend to have one fox proof chicken run by the end of next week!

carolbriar

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 18:08 »
Which size of mesh did you get?  Was it the 1.0mm or 1.6?  They say the 1.0mm is 19g and the 1.6 is 16g.  I will go for the 1.0mm.  I hope to order mine tomorrow - because it is coming to Northern Ireland it will take a few days but I am very happy to wait.  They are a very good price.

Hopton Mitch

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 18:55 »
Can't praise Hills enough. I bought my mesh from them (1/2'' x 1/2'' ) after reading the numerous positive apraisels on here and it was with me the following day. Best price and cheapest carrige on the tinterweb.

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 19:29 »
Just a thought...any steel stockholders near you? These often sell weld mesh (and for about 50p a cut will cut it to size for you too!
Toni

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 20:58 »
i got my wire from ebay an paid £114 for 90 metres an that included delievery , thats a good deal as far as i am concerned  :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

batcatz

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 22:52 »
I got mine from hills of devon.  Delivery was quick too!  :-)

carolbriar

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 10:28 »
Thank you everybody for all your help.  I contacted Hills of Devon this morning and they were brilliant.  They gave me a special deal and my weldmesh should be with me in a few days.  They gave me a great price for delivery.  Anyone else in Northern Ireland should contact them if they want a good price and very helpful service!!! :D

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 11:31 »

Blimey! That's a lot of praise for one company.
So, as long as you lot aren't all working for a certain Mr Hills of Devon, I'll bookmark this link for when I can afford weldmash fencing for my own chooks. It's not often you see any firm given this amount of praise without any complaints at all.

Now where's that bookmark link..... Ah! Click'

carolbriar

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 12:18 »
No, I don't know Hills of Devon personally or anyone who works for them!! - never heard of them before I found them on the net and then quite a few people have recommended them on this forum. 

I await with interest to see what the weldmesh is like when it arrives.  Went for the 1.0mm which is 19g as others on the forum say this is fox proof.  My husband wanted me to go for chicken wire and that was a non starter as far as I was concerned.  It will be about 3 days before it arrives as it has to cross the water!  No problem for me as I don't need it asap.  Watch this space! :)

xx
Weld Mesh

Started by D on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 20:36
by D
xx
Weld mesh

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 21:42
by binghamd
xx
Weld Mesh

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 22:17
by joyfull
xx
Weld mesh supplier?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 19:55
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 30 queries.