Daisy not herself

• 7 Replies

jackieb

Daisy not herself
« on: October 14, 2009, 20:13 »
Today when I went to the nestbox the woodshavings were very wet but no egg. I checked all the chooks vents and they were all clean. This afternoon I noticed Daisy wasn't quite herself, have kept an eye on her and have decided this evening to bring her in.

She has clear frothy poos, a little like egg white, but no yolk, her vent is pulsating, she seems to be drinking plenty and made a dive for the mealworms when I put them in the run earlier but she was off her mash this afternoon but her crop is a healthy size this evening.

I have just bathed her in fairly warm water up to her undercarriage and massaged her under her vent, I did this for about 25 minutes, I have then blow dryed her with a warm heat on the hairdryer and put her back in the dog carrier with towels, vetbed and a hotwater bottle.

She seemed to perk up a little after her bath and her comb is a lovely pink colour, better than it's been since we got her.

We have had a few softy eggs but I think they were from Lily, she is now fine. Have added limestone flour to their feed, plus oyster shell plus crushed baked eggshells. Is there anything else I should be doing?

karlooben

Re: Daisy not herself
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 20:18 »
well apart from giving her her own 4 poster bed an duvet with fluffly pillows within the house  :lol: :lol: :lol: i dont think there is much more you can do for her  from what i can tel your doing a brillant job  she may of just been egg bound and helpfully nothing else . you dont need to be giving them thier egg shells back ethier  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 20:31 »
It is ok to give egg shells back, but i'm sure you shouldn't give all 3 like that in one go, it sounds like shes laid a softie. I put a dish of oyster shell down and they take what they need, do you have it available all the time?
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

jackieb

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 21:08 »
Thanks both, I haven't given all three together, I usually fill their feed containers up and put a little oyster shell in the top so it works its way down and also half a teaspoon of limestone flour, so it's not too much.  They get baked eggshells when I'm organised enough to remember to bake them!!

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 22:05 »
well apart from giving her her own 4 poster bed an duvet with fluffly pillows within the house   :lol: :lol: :lol: i dont think there is much more you can do for her  from what i can tel your doing a brillant job  she may of just been egg bound and helpfully nothing else . you dont need to be giving them thier egg shells back ethier  :D

That made me laugh so much I had coughing fit. I can just see the chooks enjoying the 5* treatment :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm wonder if hubby could knock up a 4 poster for ours  ::)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:09 by Ma Lowe »

jackieb

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:40 »

This is what she laid overnight, so hopefully she will be on the mend soon.

I do hope she doesn't tell the girls that up at the big house you can get a wash and blow dry, warm cosy bed with hotty bottle and scrambled egg in bed in the morning or they'll all be looking off colour. :) :)

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 09:00 »
Looks like your warm bath done the trick :)
   Scrambled egg in bed...i 've never had that myself, lucky girl :lol:

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:12 »
Glad to hear Daisy is on the mend Your 5* treatment obviously did the trick.

I know where to send mine now if they feel off colour .............

"Jackieb's Health Farm" :lol: :lol:

xx
Worried about Daisy

Started by bellagirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 20:25
by bellagirl
xx
Daisy feels a little thin

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 17:57
by Aunt Sally
xx
hens called daisy

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 20:22
by ness

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.