Turkey advice

• 24 Replies

Gareth J

Re: Turkey advice
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 07:25 »
I have just returned from the lotty and we are talking chocolaty brown, and not solid  :(   
Should I be concerned ?  :unsure:
I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

Vember

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 09:04 »
Sorry but yes, if they are all like that I would be concerned :(

HAve you wormed them since you got them? If not get it done asap.
Try them with chick crumbs is possible, or mealworms basically anything you really need to stimulate their appetite.

Priority is worming though if you can a slightly larger than normal dose syringed straight down their beak for 7 days, i mix mine with a little oil :)

Sarah :)

Gareth J

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 09:31 »
I hav'nt wormed either my turkeys or hens  :ohmy:  :( All the info I have read suggested they dont need worming for the first 6 months and the arnt that old yet. Where can I get flubenvet on a sunday ????? :blink:

Vember

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 09:51 »
Farm supplies shops ???

I regularly worm my turkeys as they free range with the hens, that way I hope I can stop the dreaded blackhead.

The ground the turkeys are on although I know you said is separate to the hens have your hens been on it at all ?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 10:23 »
gareth, you said you are feeding your turkeys rearer pellets, is that chicken rearer or turkey rearer pellets?

To get nice big turkeys for Christmas, and if yours are 12 weeks plus now then they should be a fair size by now, you need to feed them turkey rearer up to the end of October, then put them onto turkey finisher until they are slaughtered.

As they are kept separate from the chickens, they shouldn't need to be wormed as all the medication you need is in that feed, but the finisher will be medication free to get it out of their system before being slaughtered.

And if yours are females, they will be a little smaller than the stags.  What breed are they???

Gareth J

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 15:48 »
hold on, wow, oh no can someone please pass me the stupid hat  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I am "sure" I asked for turkey rearer pellets (I think) I've got chicken rearer pellets.
They are kept separate from the chickens        but         I did keep the chickens on the same piece of ground previously. I think I have one female and one male. If I can remember how to use photobucket then a photo to follow.

Gareth J

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 16:17 »

Can you tell what they are yet???
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 16:23 by Gareth J »

Vember

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 17:09 »
They don't look a bad size Gareth :)

The books suggest not letting them on ground that has been used by chickens as the parasite that causes blackhead can remain in the ground.

Gradually swap them over to turkey pellets if they have been having the wrong stuff, but I still think it wise to worm them too to be on the safe side :)

Gareth J

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 17:18 »
Sarah, you mentioned farm supply stores for wormer. do you mean places like countrywide? I dont know of one near.

Vember

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 17:24 »
Never been in one myself but I would imagine if it has stuff for most farmy type critters then you should be able to get it there yes :D

xx
Turkey advice

Started by Moletrapper on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 18:44
by bantam novice
xx
went to a poulty auction and bought a turkey - advice needed

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 11:30
by CMFAM
xx
Turkey

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 12:42
by poppies
xx
X-mas Turkey

Started by massa on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 08:28
by joyfull

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 28 queries.