Rat problem, cat as a deterrent?

• 25 Replies

chickadee

Re: Rat problem, cat as a deterrent?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 15:55 »
oh poor thing. you must have bben out of your mind with worry! how is your cat now?
she is fine thank you she lost a huge amount of weight and felt very spikey but has loved being fed on demand to get her back up to weight she is a tough cookie and at nearly 12 she did well to pull through as her blood count dropped from 30 to just 9 the grim reaper called her but she clawed her way back to us she is the best cat i have ever had and looks at me with her "i love you eyes" and is never far from my side and is a gem with the hens.
chickens out

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 16:04 »
Some cat rescues deal with relocating feral cats. You do need somewhere big enough to shut them in for a few weeks though eg shed/outbuilding so they stay in the area when realised. Rats are also harder to catch than mice so you probably need a cat that's on the big size and quite smart... possibly two.

A cat that will take on a rat could pose a threat to chickens, particularly small breeds/youngsters.

Tricky

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 17:11 »
dizzylizzie: ive not heard of electric traps, i'll look into them.
has anyone else had any experience with these sort of traps?

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 18:29 »
You'll need to find a way to catch and neuter - otherwise babies come along quickly and even if boys they need doing. They'll be happy outside, but you may need to invest in a trap incase they get unwell and need vets treatment (your local cats protection maybe able to do it in emergencies). They probably will be good hunters, but you can never guarantee this by size of cat or how brought up - like I said my best hunter is my littlest female who is a total housecat until she is gets in her evening hunting mood. And as chickadee said you cant combine rat poison once you have the cats so it's really worth thinking which method you would prefer.

On a positive note, they may now be very feral cats, but they will learn to trust you to some extent and they will become attched in their own ways to you. One of my ferals is nearly tame now and lets me stroke her. The other knows that I feed him and that its safe in the house and shed for him, but wont let me within 3 foot just incase I decide to grab him  ::) Lots of people on here have cats as well so there will always be help if you need it when you get them.

lightyears

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 19:22 »
i have a air rifle, its very cheap to run and i never miss(well not yet)

parsleypig

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 21:42 »
I am sure that cats are a deterrent, young male cats are probably your best bet.  We have two male cats just 6 months old, both good hunters and have caught lots of mice, voles, frogs and a big rat.   However, the best thing we have found is to remove all the things that the rats like.

We started by removing the compost heap, put the wood pile  2 feet off the ground, burned all the garden waste and put weld mesh all round the bottom of the fence where the rats were digging under.  I  take the chickens food away in the afternoon so they eat up all the food that gets dropped onto ground and put it back up in the morning.  In addition we put the hen house up on bricks 18" off the ground so the rats can't hide under it.  DH and DS both urinate  around the area to ward off foxes and rats.

I know there were rats about before we got the chucks, next door have pigeons, and  they must still be around but we have not seen any evidence since we started the new rat offensive! so fingers crossed.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 07:53 »
hi, here's a link for electric rat traps...hope this helps
http://www.ratandmousepestcontrol.co.uk/details.asp?ID=3

tode

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 08:02 »
Have you used those electric traps, Lizzie ?   Do they work ?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 08:21 »
i have, but not since ive got chickens.....we used to have a rat problem when we had really bad neighbours(loads of rubbish etc). I always felt a bit bad because ive kept rats as pets, and they are beautiful animals, but i also didnt want wild rats around my children in the garden. i didnt like the idea of poision as ic can take a while to die, and to me thats not humane, so we used the spring traps. one day we caught a mother(dead)but also trapped the foot of her baby....it was awaful so i said no more traps. my hubby came home with these, they kill them instantly, but i would buy a couple of sets of rechargable batteries, as that can be quite expensive.
stupidly enough, we dont seem to have a problem since we got the chickens....im sure they will come tho, especially as the weather gets colder.

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 08:38 »
My neighbour and I shot and trapped just under a hundred last winter in our back gardens and they are not big gardens.
They breed continually and without the uise of poison, which I will not use ever, we have to resort to more natural means. I suspect ferret keepinging might become a hobby when I have more time
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 11:36 »
I have 3 cats and i still get the odd rat from time to time! Perhaps i am feeding them too much. ???
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

xx
fox deterrent?

Started by weedo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 16:26
by Foxy
xx
Fox deterrent

Started by Thrift on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 20:10
by poultrygeist
xx
Fox Deterrent - Will it Work??

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 18:35
by poultrygeist
xx
Sonic deterrent?

Started by mothership on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 09:06
by alancane

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.