• my hens
Can chickens fly?
« on: September 17, 2009, 18:52 »
I am so embarrassed asking, but my hubby keeps saying that they fly.  :blush:

2 Gingernut Rangers
1 Miss Pepperpot
2 Light sussex (bantoms)
and
4 ex battery hens, Katie, Sam, Lucy and Camilla.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: Can chickens fly?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 19:00 »
They can not fly in the same way as birds can, but certain light weight chickens can fly into trees or over fences.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 19:34 »
hi, yes they can...sort of! apparently the longest recorded flight is around 11 seconds :blink: one of my new girls is regulary seen hanging upside down from the roof of the run....my hubby is 6ft and walks in the run with room to spare!its looks very funny. im hoping once she grows a bit, she will be too heavy to take off  :D

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 20:54 »
someone told me Silkies can't fly, i have 7 youngsters who could prove them wrong, when i first let them out in the morning they run and take off, they can fly a fair way before landing like a bumpy aeroplane :D

littlewitch

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 21:48 »
Yup - even with their wings clipped (1 side only!) ours can take off from the patio and 'fly' across what used to be our lawn (recent heavy rain & free rangers do NOT mix!!! :tongue2: )
Aw well!  Guess what we'll be doing this weekend - yup - re-seeding the 'lawn' area & covering with protection til its taken!! :tongue2:

iwantanallotment

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 22:50 »
Mine too, wings clipped (one side)....scaled a 3ft fence the first night and flew up to the roof of the greenhouse (6ft)
They now have 7-8ft fencing/wire all around but have still tried (not anymore thankfully, they came a cropper and it put them off), but another very important point - don't leave anything near a fence that could act as a "launch pad" to help them over! They will use it  :D

peter o

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 07:19 »
hi
to some extent it depends on the breed, yet i have had large chickens ( a dorking and a cream legbar fly over my electic fence (although they have not since i cliped a wing) and yet i have 2 vorwerks which can fly fantastic but have never tried to fly over the fence.
Last night i went up to lock chickens in and one took off i was shocked as i saw it fly quite high into the air, until i realised it was a tawny owl!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 08:08 »
lol...Peter, you cant keep the tawny owl lol
my chicken that can fly has lagbar in her, and although she can fly well, she hasnt attempted the fence! :)

nzdunn

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 09:35 »
hi
to some extent it depends on the breed, yet i have had large chickens ( a dorking and a cream legbar fly over my electic fence (although they have not since i cliped a wing) and yet i have 2 vorwerks which can fly fantastic but have never tried to fly over the fence.
Last night i went up to lock chickens in and one took off i was shocked as i saw it fly quite high into the air, until i realised it was a tawny owl!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:Gosh that is funny,  trust me im in stitches here :lol: :lol: :lol: i would have loved to have seen your face :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:, thanks for making my morning. :lol: :lol: :lol:  Nickyxxx

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
can chickens eat fat?

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 13:33
by moomoos42

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 37 queries.