Buying Seeds for 2010

• 15 Replies

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
Buying Seeds for 2010
« on: September 15, 2009, 18:34 »
Please accept my apologises if this topic has been previously posted.

There has been numerous topics recently posted regarding, best seed merchants, what seeds to buy more of, what seeds not to buy, where seeds come from, best germinating seeds etc, etc.
There are currently numerous seed merchants on the internet willing you to buy their wares. Plus some of us have purchased cheap seeds which were available during the early autumn period.

So, My question is. When is the best/recommended time to buy seed for the 2010 season?

Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Buying Seeds for 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 18:56 »
Apart from parsnips, last season's seed should be fine for next year.  Particularly if unopened, packets will stay fresh for some time (see seed storage chart here)
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/seed-storage-life.php

Seed companies are now issuing their catalogues and any time onwards will be fine to buy for next year.  Some of the more unusual varieties may sell out though, so if you have your heart set on a particular variety it is probably worth getting your order in earlier rather than later.

That being said, if you are on T&M's mailing list they often get really frantic to have you buy anything from them so if you hang on long enough into spring before ordering, you may get a £5 voucher to entice you in!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 21:04 »
That's very true.....but what you really wanted may be gone buy then :ohmy:......I speak from experience :lol:

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 21:13 »
I have just found out that there is a seed swap fayre near me in a couple of weeks.  Basically you get to swap an envelope of your own saved seeds for someone elses.  If you have nothing to swap then you get to buy others for 50p per pack,  can't wait.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 20:44 »
Hi, i try to save as much seed as i can and by reselecting from the best plants each time you improve the strain.

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 20:58 »
Ive stocked up on pretty much all I want for next year at a bargain price of 50p per packet! Everyone loves the sales! I know some seed keeps less well, which is understandable. However, having checked all the packets before purchase, the plant by/use by dates are all December 2010 at the earliest one I recall is good till 2012?!
Now while I appreciate germination rates will obviously decline over such an extended period, given you can expect a few not to make it anyway, this seems like a total bargain and not a little madness on behalf of the retailers?!
The only thing that still needs getting in are the seed spuds.
Although having a look through the catalogue..... I wonder if weve room for.......   :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 21:24 »
Hi, i try to save as much seed as i can and by reselecting from the best plants each time you improve the strain.

Do you?

I've save seed from good looking plants to find they've cross pollinated with something else.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 22:25 »
Apart from parsnips, last season's seed should be fine for next year.  Particularly if unopened, packets will stay fresh for some time (see seed storage chart here)
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/seed-storage-life.php

Seed companies are now issuing their catalogues and any time onwards will be fine to buy for next year.  Some of the more unusual varieties may sell out though, so if you have your heart set on a particular variety it is probably worth getting your order in earlier rather than later.

That being said, if you are on T&M's mailing list they often get really frantic to have you buy anything from them so if you hang on long enough into spring before ordering, you may get a £5 voucher to entice you in!

If the seed is a bit past it does it only affect the germination rate i.e. less likely to germinate but if they do they should do as good as fresh seed or are you likely to get a less productive plant from older seed.

p.s. I've got my T&M £5 voucher already. Must been keen this year.
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 08:35 »
I don't know the answer to your question for sure, nwalch, but I think it's more likely to be the germination rate which is affected rather than the strength of any resulting plant  :)

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:12 »
Our allotment association gives us a seed catalogue to order from. Lots of seeds for very cheap!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 09:47 »
I bought most of mine in August from the local garden centre. As they were last season's stock, it was all half price and the dates on the packets were mostly 'use by 2011'. Mind you, I'm still using turnip seed that I bought 3 years ago (well, you get so many in a packet!) and no problems so far.

I remember a documentary about one of those Victorian botanists who travelled the world collecting plants. Someone was recently going through his archives and came across some old envelopes of seeds that were collected by him nearly 100 years ago, so they had a go at planting them and a lot of the seeds germinated!

Keep them cool and free of damp and most seeds last for ages  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 13:36 »
Hi I have found this website, selling T&M seeds at 1/3 off and free delivery. They delivered in 3 days. I only found them as I was searching for Cristal Tomato seeds, have a look.

www.capitalgardens.co.uk
Paul

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 20:32 »
if you can wait T&M will be offering their seeds at 50% off! Think its not for a while yet, but well worth stocking up when they do.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 20:36 »
Think you've missed the boat with that, they had one a few months back.

Next year's catalogues have now dropped through the letter boxes.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 20:46 »
I am not on the T&M catalogue mailing list. Therefore, today I have applied for one. Hopefully when it drops through my letter-box, some sort of carrot (no pun intended) will be included. Enticing me to submit an order. We will see.

xx
Buying Seeds Now?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 16:07
by New shoot
xx
Buying your seeds?

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 28, 2024, 06:07
by bobbyt
xx
buying seeds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2019, 19:25
by snowdrops
xx
buying seeds etc

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2007, 19:18
by philmay

Page created in 0.776 seconds with 38 queries.