Which herbs will last through winter?

• 5 Replies

kel28

Which herbs will last through winter?
« on: September 14, 2009, 18:16 »
Stupid question no 2000 from me, but which of my herbs will last thru the winter, Ive got mint, rosemary, sage and basil, Im taking it the basil isn't going to. Do you think I should move it all into the greenhouse ? or indoors etc, I remember mint just going for years at my dads but not sure about the others can anyone help ?
kem

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Which herbs will last through winter?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 18:35 »
Mint, rosemary and sage should all survive the winter outdoors, assuming their roots aren't in permanently wet soil.

Basil is tender - and, perhaps, an annual? - so won't survive.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gillie

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 19:07 »
Mint dies down in the winter, but comes back, probably somewhere other than where you planted it, in the Spring.

Are the rosemary and sage in pots?  If so I would give them a little protection although planted in well drained soil  both will stay green throughout a 'normal' winter, but may be killed by an extremely cold one, especially if the plants are getting old.  You may want to take cuttings.  I lost my sage bush last winter, but the supposedly more tender rosemaries are just fine.

Basil is tender, bring it indoors if you want to keep it, or sow more seeds.  It germinates very easily.

Cheers,

Gillie

mashauk

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 19:40 »
I've been taking cuttings from the indoor basil plants that were starting to die off, they've rooted and I've replanted them, so will be interesting to see if they survive and grow through the winter! Mint is pretty indestructible.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 21:28 »
Mint; if you have grown it in a pot, sunken or otherwise, it will have filled the pot this year with roots which will inhibit next year's growth (refill pot next year and start again with a few of the old roots/shoots). If you have planted it in the open, it will be more than happy, but you might not be, as it will spread EVERYWHERE!

Rosemary is pretty hardy, in well-drained soil will easily survive winter and can be cut back in spring so long as you don't go all the way back to the woody stuff.

Sage; goes a bit "loppy" in winter but rallies in spring; can be cut back quite hard like Rosemary so long as you don't overdo it

Basil; very tender, also an annual in this country. You would be lucky to keep it productive over winter without going to expensive extremes.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

kel28

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 19:21 »
Oh thank you every one. all of them are in pots and wasnt expecting the basil to survive but im glad all the others should (fingers crossed) Like i said the mint at my dads went for years, and i remember picking that in winter as it was the only thing left then, now his going all year with his veg too bless him.   Thanks very much

xx
herbs that survived the winter

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 18:30
by celjaci
xx
How do I over-winter kitchen herbs, please?

Started by Kevin67 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2014, 14:57
by Kevin67
xx
winter salad and herbs

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 11:45
by mashbintater
xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc

Page created in 1.132 seconds with 29 queries.