Bedding for chooks

• 16 Replies

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Bedding for chooks
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:26 »
I have been given use of a spare stable at the yard where I keep my horse . . .  Great timing as one of the neighbours sons has started to make a bit of a fuss about the cockerel crowing :(

Anyway.... there is a new straw bed in there which is my straw..... but I am unsure as to whether it is suitable or not.

I have only ever kept mine on shavings (coop) but this is such a large area, and the straw looks very cozy?????

Some articles say yes.... others say deffo no(mites)..... So what are your views.

There will be my quartet of silkies going in for now... and then when the new ones arrive they will join them.
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: Bedding for chooks
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:40 »
After the problems I've just had with mites, mine are now on newspaper/carton from boxes.
They've just laid 3 eggs on the newspapers, so obviously they don't mind.  I've scattered Diatom on the newspapers, also round their coop
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

littlewitch

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 13:14 »
Hi there chookiechook, welcome, welcome - as you're in a stable why not try one of the horsey type bedding that are suitable for chooks - such as aubiose or similar natural hemp products - composts easily, reasonable price and some even come treated with that lemony stuff that stops flies (sorry  having a senior moment - can't remember what that lemon scented stuff is called) but you should find these suitable.

RichardH

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 13:20 »
Hemcore's the citronella stuff - I tried toget that but our nearest place does aubiose instead, so went for that instead.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 13:33 »
straw can get wrapped around young chicks legs etc.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 16:48 »
Thanks guys, shavings it is  :)

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 18:18 »
We have aubiose/hemcore and love it for our chooks, so much easier to keep clean than shavings and the citronella keeps the flies away. Last for ages  :)

We've never had a problem with mites (fingers crossed!) using that either. 
Best wishes
Lucy

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 19:22 »
I use hemcore now and would never go back to shavings. Better smell, more absorbant, composts down in a fraction of the time.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

wilson5

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 19:44 »
I am new to this game but have been using a mixture of shavings and shredded paper(that will stop anyone going through my bin for my personal details if its covered in chicken poo!)  but only got three chooks at the moment and will compost down ok.My prob is that my chooks, how are not laying yet are using their nesting boxes to sleep in and as a toilet they do not use the perches only to  occasionaly sunbathe.  Have read that blocking the box off at night is the trick.  Also can any one help with advice about letting my chooks run free in the garden, they have not had their wings clipped yet.  Have Hilda light sussex and Ancona/Arucana/Maran banty hen cross not sure.  Have been told that banties tend to fly?

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 00:16 »
hi! my little banties can fly (in a rather clumsy fashion) accross the garden - i keep meaning to clip their wings but havent got around to it.  At the moment i just have to keep an eye on them if they are free ranging as a couple did get ontop of the fence one eveing to roost & thats 6 foot! ive got RIR, sussex, araucana & a wellsummer absolutely love them!! (love them more if they all strated to lay eggs though! - got 6 banties and get 2 eggs every other day! :D

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 08:12 »
Hi,
I have always used straw, I move my chicks at around 5 - 6 weeks old into a shed with straw on the floor for about a week to get them used to it before moving them outside. (as there are on woodshavings upto this age)
I have not had any problems with mites and straw, but I do clean them out every week.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 09:26 »
I can't speak highly enough of Cozy Coop:

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eflytesofancy%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=coop%20cozy&PN=Cozy_Coop_Poultry_Bedding__50_litres_%2ehtml%23aCOZY#aCOZY

It smells lovely, is highly absorbent and it's easy to just clean out the mucky bits and then top up.

Lynda_T

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 10:09 »
Just reading up on Hempcore, ive read that u would sprinkle water on it to start it of is this necessary for chickens? :blink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 10:26 »
No think that is just for horses  :)

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 10:34 »
I use chopped straw with chicks and their mums outside, older chooks and ducks I use easibed. :)

xx
Equine green bedding for chooks and new hatched chicks??

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 22:16
by mohs.ayaz
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Bedding

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 18:49
by Kate and her Ducks
question
Bedding etc

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 22:11
by neil9797

Page created in 0.547 seconds with 38 queries.