Disappointing Sweetcorn!

• 40 Replies

Riala

Re: Disappointing Sweetcorn!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 11:13 »
My sweetcorn plants are now going yellow and straw like... is it time to give up on my corn and pull these plants?

Also, can I plant my wintering cabbage and spring onions directly into the soil where my corn was?

dolby

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 22:44 »
My sweetcorn has also been very dissapointing this year. Went down to the allotment last week and looked at a couple, Tassles had gone nice and brown and the cobs themselves looked a good size, but when I peeled them back the corn was v poor. The kernels had not fattened up at all, they were still white and the juices were still running clear. Thought I'd give them another week but just been down again today and no better. The only thing I can think is that they just havent had sufficient sun this year to rippen up properly.

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 09:13 »
I have grown a super-sweet variety this year, about 130 plants. Following advice on here I planted them 12 inches apart each way in a 10ft square block. Pollination was very good compared to last year when they were the standard 18 inches apart. I have had some lovely sized full cobs off them in the last couple of weeks although there are quite a few that have not grown to full size and are still on the plants, but I put this down to the lack of sunshine we have had this summer. Although I am happy with my results, I believe given a good summer I would have had a near perfect crop.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

tode

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 09:28 »
This is quite a useful sit:
http://www.sweetcorngrowingtips.com/index.htm

But at the end of the day, corn needs plnaty of sun + plenty of water.

Riala

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 09:51 »
I think we can all agree here in the UK, that water is something all our 'home growns' have had plenty of. *rolls eyes*

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 11:18 »
I think we can all agree here in the UK, that water is something all our 'home growns' have had plenty of. *rolls eyes*

The only water we had was from a hose :( .......until today :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 11:28 »
I have had very good results with Swift F1 this year. They seemed incredibly early (01May sowing harvesting 20Jul, 01Jun sowing harvesting 14Aug onwards), and clearly are bred for that purpose - the cobs are born one leaf joint lower than the old conventional taller type, and the plant is that much smaller too, which I think gives them time to mature within our climate.

I'm curious to know what varieties folk were growing (and which had difficulty, which not) - I wonder if some of the failures are with the older-type taller / later varieties?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 16:15 »
Last 2 years grew "Sundance" which failed miserably, although I noticed that some plants in the block were bigger (less tiny!) than others.

The penny dropped; this year my "Swift" have been brilliant (although not as early as Kristens); they have been virtually force-fed from birth which is what these hungry plants seem to need in my light sandy soil.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

dolby

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 20:22 »
I grew Passion F1 (Fothergills) and as I said above have been v disappointed. I will have to give Swift a go. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Elcie

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 20:49 »
My sweetcorn has been a mixed bag but that has been mostly to do with when it was sowed.  I sowed way too early for some of it and at about the right time for some.  I had some cobs which looked just like the supermarket ones and some that were half corn half nothing.  All tasted delicious though and I will definitely do again next year.

Bombers

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 21:45 »
I'm with you Elcie, It's WHEN you sow and the weather that makes all the difference.

I sowed my first batch 21/04

followed by a backup of the same on 9/05.

They were both treated exactly the same way. (earliest on the LHS)

Yet the earlier sowing were huge in comparison.  :blink:

Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 22:08 »
I definitely think it is worth avoiding getting carried away and not sowing too early.

Also, the harvesting period is little more than a couple of weeks, so no point sowing more than you can eat in two weeks.  Successonal sowings of Sweetcorn are a bit more difficult than other crops as they need to be planted in a block. Maybe 3 x 3 = 9 is enough to get good pollination? and then sow 9 plants every fortnight from 01Apr to 15June ?

The ones I sowed on 01Apr and planted outside were a lot more stunted than the same batch grown on in the greenhouse, and later sowings grown outside were taller too (All Swift F1):

SiteSownPlantedHeight
Greenhouse 01-Apr01-May190cm
Outdoors 101-Apr01-May80cm
Outdoors 209-May31-May150cm

darcyhen

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 22:35 »
Hi,
I grew sweetcorn for the first time this summer. i think i had 12+ plants not sure what variety. Grown in a grid formation but maybe not tyhe best spot.

However, it seemed to grow well and the first cobs were fantastic. But subsequent cobs(lower down the plant) would sometimes only be half covered in juicy kernels.
Could this be due to lack of pollenation? As they are lower down? Someone mentioned shaking the flowers over the tassels? I assumed that pollenation had already occured as cobs were forming. Am i wrong and should i have helped nature?

They were soooo tasty that i will be growing them next year. Also had quite a lot of earwigs in cobs. Could they have caused any damage?

Thanks

michelle

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 22:38 »
It is indeed poor pollination which causes incomplete cobs  :(

I think the tassels take the pollen down to do the germination, so shaking is indeed often recommended.

Not sure of the likely extent of earwig damage though.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

darcyhen

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 22:56 »
thanks, that does explain a lot. Next year i will try them in a different location, a little bit closer and will give nature an extra hand too.

thanks

xx
Disappointing garlic

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 10:54
by mumofstig
xx
Disappointing potatoes

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 18:48
by AnneB
xx
disappointing spuds

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 22:20
by Mrs Bee
xx
Disappointing brussels

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 20, 2012, 08:40
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.596 seconds with 38 queries.