eggs in the post

• 19 Replies

nzdunn

eggs in the post
« on: September 07, 2009, 13:01 »
just a wee question, if i wanted fertile eggs posted from england to northern ireland is this viable,    nickyx

Kate and her Ducks

Re: eggs in the post
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 13:06 »
Yes it is certainly possible although fertility can suffer with rough handling in the post. Foxy has sent eggs to the States and some hatched. I had some sent from the UK and none developed so I think there is an element of luck too.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 13:58 »
please always ask for Special Delivery, ok its about £3.00 more but they do get hand sorted and dont go through the big mailing drums that can damage the air sac's( thats why the expence) you will get a better hatch rate.

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 16:16 »
please always ask for Special Delivery, ok its about £3.00 more but they do get hand sorted and dont go through the big mailing drums that can damage the air sac's( thats why the expence) you will get a better hatch rate.

thanks snowflake for that advice       nickyx :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 16:35 »
But if you are going for a special breed please please do as foxy has said in the past. Only purchase from a reputable breeder". Not from ebay.  I bought 6 hatching eggs Scots Greys and yes they do look like Greys but they are not lay wrong colour eggs and the cockerel has the odd brown feather. But it is only now that I can tell and they hatched on the 25th of March.

Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 16:40 »
But if you are going for a special breed please please do as foxy has said in the past. Only purchase from a reputable breeder". Not from ebay.  I bought 6 hatching eggs Scots Greys and yes they do look like Greys but they are not lay wrong colour eggs and the cockerel has the odd brown feather. But it is only now that I can tell and they hatched on the 25th of March.

thanks for that advice, its something im gonna think really hard about,  i really want a pair of sussex speckledys and im not sure we would have any over here in northern ireland but i may be wrong, on the other hand i might just come over to england and get some myself, they would travel ok on an overnite ferry wouldnt they.   nickyx

archiesgems

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 16:46 »

I totally agree. find yourself a good breeder and if you want pure breeds ebay isn't the way to go, I have bought Araucana eggs from there in the past and trust me the birds were as much Araus as I am  >:(

check out the breeders lists on the internet and practical poultry has a good breeders section in the back
Jay

Rubellite

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 16:53 »
thanks for that advice, its something im gonna think really hard about,  i really want a pair of sussex speckledys and im not sure we would have any over here in northern ireland but i may be wrong, on the other hand i might just come over to england and get some myself, they would travel ok on an overnite ferry wouldnt they.   nickyx

Depends which way the wind is blowing and how rough is the sea  :lol:
Seriously though, mummy chook  throws them all around to turn them, doesn't she?
I bought 10 eggs from 2 different local suppliers (6 + 4) and treated them with kid gloves (even drove sensibly) and have just ONE showing anything in the incy  :( whereas those that came through the post gave me more success than that!!

archiesgems

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 17:01 »
nz,,,,, also if you can check the fertility rate of the breeder. (well their chickens) and also times of the year will dipict just how fertile the eggs will be. any breeder will be happy to talk to you for hours if they are any good  ;)

nzdunn

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 17:21 »
thanks for all your advice HOORAY ive just found a breeder in the south of ireland that has them, about 2hrs from me but my mum live about 30mins from them and they have speckledys just emailed him.  Gees that took ages of trawling through the internet my eyes hurt now.   Nickyx

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 20:32 »
I agree buying eggs off ebay is a bit hit and miss - I've ended up with rotten ones and everything - but I have also met a couple of good breeders and had some great chickens from them.  That said you can never beat being able to see the parent birds or buy the birds directly from a reputable breeder.

Hope you get what you want  :D
Mad chicken woman

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 20:42 »
nz,,,,, also if you can check the fertility rate of the breeder. (well their chickens) and also times of the year will dipict just how fertile the eggs will be. any breeder will be happy to talk to you for hours if they are any good  ;)

You dont say!!! :lol: :lol:

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 22:32 »

I sell and buy eggs on ebay, buying is a bit hit and miss I have had mixed results, as for selling I offer guarentees on my eggs and if I know the fertility is no good I won't sell them, I have a regular buyer from Northern Ireland, the important thing to remember is leaving the eggs to settle for 24 hours before incubating and you are best to pay for special delivery.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 03:35 »
yea! nicky is getting speckeldys  :D :D :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 06:27 »
Well you've had over 4 hours (in fact way over) to drive there and back so where are the piccies??  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
hatching eggs through the post

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 22:28
by lucylou
xx
wanted mandarin duck eggs and peacock eggs please - wales

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:00
by babe
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
If eggs don't hatch can i replace eggs under broody hen?

Started by ---Snakey--- on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:20
by Sassy

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 38 queries.