hatching eggs through the post

• 27 Replies

lucylou

• Experienced Member
hatching eggs through the post
« on: June 13, 2009, 22:50 »
hi there! this is my first post! - thinking about purchsing bantie eggs for hatching via ebay - does anyone know how the postage affects the fertility? has anyone been successful with them?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: hatching eggs through the post
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 22:58 »
Hi Lucy and welcome to the madhouse (sorry mean henhouse!!  :D :D)

I have only pruchased from Ebay once and my friend chickenlady on here hatched them for me and we got 4 out of 6 chicks. Apparently travelling doesn't do the eggs much good, and I've heard both good and bad about Ebay eggs, its a chance you take I'm afraid.

There are also a few people on here who sell bantie eggs, anything in particular?

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 23:10 »
thanks for your reply annie - dont know how to reply!! please let me know someone, i feel such an idiot!!

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 23:27 »
Hi,
Whenever you have eggs through the post make sure you let them rest for 24 hours after receiving them before putting them in your incubator or under broody, turning after 12 hours, it does make a big difference.
And when buying from eBay check the sellers feedback first.
Good Luck
Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 23:30 »
Hello there!
 I have had good and bad results from ebay! i now have just a couple of breeders i use as i have had good results with them! did purchase some araucana eggs the other week and today is day 7 and all were really old dirty eggs (large air cell on arrival!) most started to grow but then just died 2 had blown air cells wont be using that seller again (had 100% feedback too?)  £10 wasted  >:( in the same incy i had 8 lemon cuckoo pekin eggs and 7 of those are growing well! very important to let them rest 24 hours before incubating turning eggs twice a day.
Hope this helps

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Riala

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 23:41 »
Is there an idiots guide anywhere to buying 'hatching' eggs, making an incubator, and what on earth you feed young chicks!!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 23:56 »
thanks for your info, at the moment i am just thinking about it as havent done this before - the thought of ending up with too many cockerels is piutting me off as i cant keep any - weve got lovely neighbours and want to keep them that way!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 06:07 »
If that is the case then I would suggest buy pullets from a reputable breeder, when hatching eggs you will get a high percentage of cockerels  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 06:18 »
ebay feedback is usually left to show speed of posting and how well the eggs were packed not hatch/fertility rate. Most if not all sellers put on their advert that owing to the post they cannot guarenttee (sp?) the hatch rate, and very few people leave a follow on feedback to state their hatch rate. I have bought eggs off ebay but have bought them from local ebayers so that I can go and collect them myself. You can leave feedback for your purchase after the eggs have hatched I think you have up to 60 or 90 days to do so, therefore if like in Debbies case with the old eggs it would have to be a definate negative, and don't worry about the seller leaving negative feedback for you (just to be nasty) they can't.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 07:48 »
I have just tried 6 Braekel eggs from eBay. The seller had good feedback and several people had confirmed the fertility of the eggs they received. I rested mine etc as instructed and put them under a broody, but they were all duds. I see from the previous feedback that another buyer of Brakel eggs got all duds too.

I don't think this means you have to leave negative feedback, as the eggs are only "presumed fertile" and you don't know what has happened to them in the post. But I didn't leave feedback until after the 14 day candling.

£10 down the drain  :blink:. If I were buying hatching eggs now, I would go to a local poultry supplier and take what they had rather than trying to get fancy ones from eBay.
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 07:50 »
depends though, like as in debbies case they were obviously old eggs and only the freshest eggs should have been sent.

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 09:42 »
Hello Lucylou,
Welcome to the Forum.
It would be handy if you put your location in your Profile, then we'd know roughly where you are.
I currently have some eggs, via e-bay, under a cuckoo maran, with a week to go......
cathangirl

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 23:02 »
hello again! i am in christchurch, bournemouth.  thanks for all replies.  it is interesting to hear that a high proprtion of the eggs hatched would end up being cockerels - does anyone know why that would be? 
thanks, lou

too many girls

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 23:16 »
i don't know about the ratio, but i have bought eggs twice from e-bay, the first lot hatched 6 out of 12 and cost about £25 including postage, the second lot came from 3 different sellers, 6 welsummer banty's, 6 Aracauna and 6 cream legbars, the cost for all including postage was about £35, the eggs perished in the incy after a powercut, ouch, i contacted the lady in Butterknowle who sold me Elwood and Leroy and asked if she sold hatching eggs, 12 cream legbars are £6 and 12 RIR are £7, yipee, just need an empty incy now.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 23:20 »
Well you only have 2 sexes, girls and boys, so tht gives you a 50 - 50 chance of gettings boys for a start!!   :)  But some people say there's a good chance of 60 -40 chance of getting boys.  Perhaps its because of the natural order of things I don't know

but if anyone can answer the question  we'd all like to know!!!!   :D

xx
Considering hatching own eggs

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 13, 2011, 22:36
by pepsi100
xx
Hatching eggs

Started by Fisty on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 19:22
by Hensington
xx
Hatching eggs

Started by DS1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 22:12
by Nails
xx
Hatching Eggs

Started by Kathy331 on The Hen House

40 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 18:25
by Kathy331

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 30 queries.