Second Thoughts

• 30 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Second Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 16:36 »
Hi, I hope you both enjoyed your visit and also the trip to Gaz's place today. Let me know which ones if any you decide to go with. Just to let you know that by the time I got back she had laid  :lol:.
The place for welded mesh is Hills of Devon and the place for feeders and drinkers is Solway feeders. Diatom is available from lots of places on the internet (try ebay) and the stuff I put on the floor is Hemcore which is from horsey places along with apple cider vinegar and purple spray. If you need any more help don't hesitate to ask, joy xx
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 18:08 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 16:39 »
Ma - thank you for your honest post ... I waited over four months between deciding to get chickens and actually getting them, and really I think it was too long - I was so nervous when they eventually came! Have only had them five days and I know now it's going to be fine ... I also know all the things I've done/planned wrong and what I'd like to do about it, but that's another story!  :lol:
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

tode

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 18:16 »
Ma, if you've got a long garden, and worried about yhem spoiling it, would it be possible for you to erect a low fence, restricting them to the end of the garden?  You could still have shrubs (and small trees ?) in that part.  Just an idea.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 18:54 »
Thank you all for your replies and advise.

We visited Joyfull today to see her hens and ask questions.
I feel so much better for seeing things for real and talking face to face with someone who has done it.
Joyfull thank you so much for today. Your girlies are awsome and I could have stayed all day watching for the hen to lay her egg. She obviously didn't want us to see lol. So glad she has layed now.
They are so amusing to watch and each have their own personalities which is wonderful. As for cleaning them out I am fine with it. I thought I would have to be giving them a good clean out everyday but now realise that with the right planing I can get away with thorough cleaning weekly.
The chickens at Gazza's were lovely and we could have taken one of everything home ...except those long legged ones that looked like eagles.  :ohmy:

We have decided that we will have chickens as it is something we can all do and enjoy.

We like the Welsummers, Rhode Island Red and light Sussex so will probably start with one each of them.

Thank you for the info regarding wire and bedding etc we will be sorting that out this week.

So watch this space folks as we venture into the world of the chook and be prepared for many questions.  :D  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 18:59 »
Nice choices you have made there and glad you enjoyed yourself. Dont forget when you do get yours then you must post photographs of them. Take care and any problems don't hesitate to ask, Joy xx

nzdunn

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 19:36 »
arh fantastic decision im so glad youve decided to go with it, you wont regret it honestly especially when you taste those first eggs from your girls, looking forward to piccys.  nickyx :D

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 19:43 »
Ma, pleased you've decided to go with them now, it can be daunting trying to get your head around it all though. Be prepared to never have time for yourself- as it all gets spent just watching them :lol:
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

karlooben

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 19:52 »
hi there ma . if i was you i would start of with just 2 birds for now an wait a while before getting anymore as you have  already had  doubts yes it can be easy looking after them but there wil be times when times are tough . i jumped in the deep end an got 14 ex batts in one shot then added another 7 within a month at times i have wanted to get rid of them but thats mainly when its pouring with rain an they dont want to go to bed so u end up chasing them  :lol: but then the silly things soon win u round and make u forget the bad times . as for rats they will always be there no matter what the saying goes your never very far froma  rat no matter where u are .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 08:39 »
hi there ma . if i was you i would start of with just 2 birds for now an wait a while before getting anymore as you have  already had  doubts
I was told two wasn't a good idea in case one of them died ...

Sassy

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 08:40 »
I think three is a good number to start with. Should the worst happen you have not got one hen on its own. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 09:24 »
Missed the start of this thread, or I would have contributed.  Had exactly the same doubts, but went for it anyway, and best thing I've done for ages.  Couldn't imagine a day without the girls now.  So glad you've decided to join the club, you definately won't regret it.

I started off thinking of 3, then realised I had space for more, so went to collect 6 and came home with 8.  I wouldn't have more than that in the space I've got, but wouldn't part with a single one of them.

You won't believe the joy they will give you.  Can't wait to see the pics.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 10:12 »
Thank you all.

I am so excited now at the prospect of having some lovley characters in my garden.
We are starting to build the hen house today so fingers crossed we have fine weather.

Off now to buy some materials ... how exciting is this  :D :D

karlooben

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 19:26 »
and this is only the beginning  :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 20:07 »
Another thing which i don`t think has been mentioned is the mud , not the mud that the chickens create but the stuff your wellies will make trudging to the pen three times a day all winter. If you haven`t got hard paving plan a route to ease the wear on one area and avoid a mire.

Mischief

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 21:12 »
Good luck with your chickens Ma.....I've only had mine a few weeks (and keep getting more :) ) they do bring so much joy.....one of my best moments is watching my 18 month old son dive into their corn container and bringing out a handful of food......throwing across our lounge floor and then calling our girls into the house....... the poo picking was 'lovely' but worth it to see the look on his face !!!!!!!

xx
your thoughts please

Started by nickiit2003 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post December 01, 2011, 21:03
by hillfooter
xx
R-COM 20 PRO my thoughts

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

46 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 09:11
by naturesparadise
xx
hen or cock?? What are your thoughts!

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2012, 10:03
by frenchliving
xx
A new arrival...I'd appreciate thoughts please...

Started by alaj on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 11:06
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 38 queries.