mucky bum

• 25 Replies

coco

• Experienced Member
mucky bum
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:38 »
Hello

This is the first time I've posted on here, although I've been lurking for a while.  I'm new to chicken keeping, we've only had ours a month or so.  They're happy, healthy and laying. 

One of our hens has a very dirty bum, just looks like she's got poop stuck in her feathers, but it seems to be getting worse with more stuck to what was there before. 

The kids, who've fell in love with them have been feeding them all sorts of veggies and worms and such like, I thought it may be this but now, being a newbie I really don't know if its something more serious

Is this something to be concerned about? She doesn't seem to be bothered at all, and I've checked her poops with Aunt Sally's guide and it seems normal :)  Have wormed them today with some powder mixed in with their food.

What do you think?

xx

Roughlee Handled

Re: mucky bum
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:55 »
Welcome to the mad house.   :blink:

You could wash her bum. 

Apart from a chicken what is she (breed)
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:58 »
thank you 

In my naivety never thought it could be as simple as giving her a wash ... don't think she'll be too pleased though as she has quite strong opinions on most things  :lol: don't really know what breed she is ..... just a brown/red hen I think

* goes off to run the chick a nice bubble bath  ;)

xx

bexy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 13:17 »
I would wash it off ASAP because it will attract flies which can lay maggots there and work themselves insides  :ohmy:
I would only wash the area that is dirty on a day like today,unless you have a warm sunny day there. :)

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 13:31 »
OK bum washed as best as I could ... chicken gone off sulking and pruning  :nowink:  hope she will forgive me.

Have to see what it looks like when its completely dried

thanks for the advice

xx

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 15:15 »
I was nervous about bathing my hen.....i had nothing to worry about, she loved it, but she loved being blowed dryed with a hair dryer even more :D

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 15:27 »
 :lol: she looks so sweet, my made a run for it as soon as she could, with a soggy bum, but I'm hoping it'll look better once she's thoroughly dry.

Having thought about it I think it's dirty probably because she sleep on the floor of the house in the sawdust/shavings and by the morning there's a pile of droppings where she's been lay, so guessing she not house proud  ::) which is probably why the other two sleep over the other side.

xx

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 15:29 »
I love that photo. If only she could talk. 
I think it would be a good picture for a caption.

Hey when are you going to knock before you barge in?

bexy

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 16:01 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: love it :lol:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 18:01 »
I love that photo. If only she could talk. 
I think it would be a good picture for a caption.

Hey when are you going to knock before you barge in?

ha ha ha ha....never thought of it like that....she did love the water tho :D

bexy

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 18:34 »
you should use it for your profile picture,it's brilliant.....i would also do a blown up version and hang it on my wall,absolutely love it  especially with the caption :)

shargi59

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 10:48 »
My chickens got a mucky bum too, she's a black one with a red comb, does it make a difference what breed they are then?  She's had a lot of problems with mites that we've  been treating, she hasn't been laying for weeks now even though she's about 5months old. When I washed her bum I could feel an egg in her tummy. I've stopped giving her treats, just layers pellets. She seems fine in herself and was quite happy being washed and doused with mite powder, in fact she seemed to enjoy the fuss. SHe also gone a bit bald on her head and neck. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 10:55 »
.....When I washed her bum I could feel an egg in her tummy. I've stopped giving her treats, just layers pellets. She seems fine in herself and was quite happy being washed and doused with mite powder, in fact she seemed to enjoy the fuss. SHe also gone a bit bald on her head and neck. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

When did you wash her?
Are you sure you felt an egg?
She is most likely in moult and that is why she is not laying.  Why would i think this? Because she has stopped laying and has gone a bit bald.  This is the time she would need treats.

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 16:43 »
Brilliant picture.  We put one of ours in a warm bath recently as we were worried she was egg bound - she also had a slightly mucky bum after the problems she had with the prolapse - vent is beautiful now!!!!  I was worried she would get upset by it and I would have to hold her down but she loved it too and would quite happily have staying in there I think for a while.

archiesgems

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 16:56 »
I could make a few people a bit mad here but i am sorry but i have to say it.

so many times people say when aske what breed they have 'i dunno its brown' why cant people check out the breeds before hand, some breeds need special care whilst others just won't mix in large flocks or need special diets. what would happen if you bought a puppy from someone wanting a spaniel and find out its a rottweiller??????????

please do your homework before buying your chickens, it really is so important...

xx
mucky bum

Started by dan808 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 09:09
by Sassy
xx
Mucky run

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 23:41
by Pip Judgeford
question
Mucky Bum

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 13:05
by compostqueen
xx
Mucky eggs

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 19:46
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 37 queries.