mucky bum

• 2 Replies

dan808

mucky bum
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:49 »
Hi guys I noticed one of my girls (ex battery)  has a mucky bum. Picked her up yesterday and she had a small amount of white stuff on her vent has anyone got any suggestions what to do. I've had her 4 months she is very active eating drinking the biggest of all my hens. I wormed them all a week ago if it matters.
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  :-) :-)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: mucky bum
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:04 »
If you used flubenvet to worm them that will have worked but if you use herbal remedies they are not proven to work.  Worming can sometimes change their poo so it could be why she has a mucky bum.  Check that it is not lice eggs though as they are white and usually laid in that area.  There are some photos on HERE for you to compare it with.

If it is poo it is best to give her a luke warm bath and gently dry with a towel and finish off with a hairdryer on a low setting unless it is warm and sunny.  If you leave the poo it can attract the other hens to peck or you can find that she will get a build up which will be difficult to wash off.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

Re: mucky bum
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:09 »
You also need to be aware of fly strike at this time of the year - flies lay eggs in the pooey area, they hatch and the maggots feed on the hen - GROSS and very painful.

If the white is poo it will be the urates part. Hens do not pee separately. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

question
Mucky Bum

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 13:05
by compostqueen
xx
mucky bum

Started by coco on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 08:52
by coco
xx
Mucky run

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 23:41
by Pip Judgeford
xx
Mucky Bums?

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 18:38
by Tigerwren

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 30 queries.