white mould on courgette leaves

• 9 Replies

bigginge

• Experienced Member
white mould on courgette leaves
« on: September 03, 2009, 18:31 »
Although we've had a bumper harvest of courgettes there is a whitish mould on the leaves. Is it OK to compost them, or burn them to be safe?

upert

• Experienced Member
Re: white mould on courgette leaves
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 19:08 »
sounds like powdery mildew. you can remove the worst effected leaves and prolong the harvest as left to it's own devices all leaves will be mildewy. i don't know about composting for sure but imagine it should be ok.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 23:35 »
Powdery mildew is usually what hits the plants about now - shortage of water is the usual cause as the weather patterns change. composting is okay as its not the type of mildew that's passed along.

johnwoots

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 13:08 »
i have had the same problem. but i disposed of the leaves and plants in the green waste bin and not the compost. I was advised by my father who has had this experience. so you can never be too sure.

I suppose everyone has different ways of doing things, but i would like to know the best way to avoid this happening in the first place?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 14:54 »
Mildew thrives in damp humid conditions, which if caused by the weather you can't do much about, but do try and improve the air circulation round the leaves so that you are not creating a microclimate where the mould can flourish.

Take off any old and tatty leaves which are a good site for infection to spread and which are probably lying on the (damp) ground anyway. Try and avoid allowing leaves to overlap which again traps water between them and encourages mildew to take hold (cut a few off if necessary; the plant won't mind if there are still plenty left).
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

johnwoots

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 15:21 »
Many thanks for the advice. i thought about doing that for next season, so will definatly try and prevent it. i planted my caujettes about a foot apart. what do you think? i had a great crop but would they benefit from being further apart? 

any advice anyone?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 15:36 »
A foot apart is not much for such a large plant like courgette and will certainly increase the chances of getting mildew. I think the recommended spacing is usually about 3 feet; I push it to about 2 feet but wouldn't personally go to less than that (but then you got a great crop this year................)

johnwoots

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 16:36 »
thanks fot the advice, will space them out further. in regards to great crop...its my first year so i cant compare it to anything else, so maybe i will get a better crop next year!

they are planted in raised bed so i will move them around and see what happens.

many thanks

MoreWhisky

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 20:44 »
I gave mine half square metre each and they have took up all that and more.

The moldy leaves are starting to hit now realy , theres a surprise.

Out of the four varietys i have grown the Yellow (and most attractive) courgette Parador is not affected at all. The defender is doing pretty well to.

I also used the milk/water spray on them and am convinced this has helped.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

bigginge

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 21:15 »
Thanks for the replies, they've stopped cropping now so I'll chop them onto the compost heap.

xx
My courgette leaves are white.

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 14:37
by Springlands
xx
white splodges on courgette leaves

Started by flora on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 10:06
by flora
xx
white spots on courgette leaves

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 18:54
by jamima
xx
Courgette mould - is it fatal?

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 22:03
by Annie

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 37 queries.