Mycoplasma - Q?

• 100 Replies

karlooben

Re: Mycoplasma - Q?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 17:40 »
 :ohmy: i need a new brain trying to get my head around all of what u guys have posted  :lol: :lol: ok now i am thick  :tongue2:.

a few of my girls have runny noses an the odd sniffles an sneezes { just been in and mixed  all their feeds into one dustbin  5 bins down to 3 not bad really considering i have 22 birds 5 bins , 2 horses an 1 wheelie bin  :lol: :lol: } ok back on subject well i checked them all over and they all seem very happy considering the odd sneeze etc even the one thats in quantine although her nose is still pretty bunged up .
it seems to me that mycoplasma seems a easy thing for ppl tp blame when thier birds are ill considering theres so much more out there .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 18:41 »
The data sheet says it's Tiamulin

http://www.bimsds.us/BIMSDS/msds/Denagard_Premix_msds.pdf

This study seems to indicate that tiamulin, doxycycline and danofloxacin are the best antibiotic to use for mycoplasma.

http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/mycoplasma_sensitivity.htm
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 18:45 by Aunt Sally »

croad langshan

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 18:58 »
The data sheet says it's Tiamulin

http://www.bimsds.us/BIMSDS/msds/Denagard_Premix_msds.pdf

This study seems to indicate that tiamulin, doxycycline and danofloxacin are the best antibiotic to use for mycoplasma.

http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/mycoplasma_sensitivity.htm
Can i bring my head above the parapet  now please!!!!!   

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 19:06 »
Why ?  I've just agreed with you !  :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 20:13 »
Hi all, i have been watching the forum with interest so i thought  i may put a bit of information here about mycoplasma, vaccinations and other such stuff.!!!!! :blink:

Ok first up Mycoplasma, talking from experience vaccinating against mycoplama is not as simple as you may think, i know because i do vaccinate against it.

There is only one licensed vaccine in this country for Mycoplasma and it only treats one type! However there are two types!!!!! It aint cheap its around the £90.00 mark for 1000 doses so its worth it if your hatching a thousand a month! The other vaccine you have to import through your vet and that is serious money, only worth it if your breeding on a large scale! Having said all this i do vaccinate all of my stock against Mareks, mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitus, Cocciodosis and Newcastle Disease because so many people are now jumping on the bandwagon and breeding poultry and not vaccinating and that is why we are getting lots of poultry disease.

Hope this helps! :D
This is only my opinion and is not a solution to the problem but....!
 in the olden days they would just cull any sick birds so the ones left had the strong immune systems able to resist the deseases. now though poultry keepers  and commercial units dont want to cull stock (i wouldnt want to, as mine are pets too) so vaccinate and pump with antibiotics and other drugs, so we are left with alot of poultry out there that have lost their natural immunity and i believe this is actually the reason for so much sickness, breeders then thinking they had cured a problem in their flock pass on stock which then succumb to desease from the slightest bit of stress or new challenge to its immune system it encounters!
Sorry i will come down off my soapbox now  :blush:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karlooben

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 21:02 »
i could agree with chickenlady , how did animals an ppl cope before all this stuff was invented to protect us. they say with kids if you let them play in the mud etc they become better protected agaisnt most germs etc in one way i can say thats true as i have known kids get as dirty as hell and never become ill yet kids i know that are nott even allowed out in the garden are or were always ill with chest infections etc .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 21:07 »
 in the olden days they would just cull any sick birds so the ones left had the strong immune systems able to resist the deseases. now though poultry keepers  and commercial units dont want to cull stock (i wouldnt want to, as mine are pets too) so vaccinate and pump with antibiotics and other drugs, so we are left with alot of poultry out there that have lost their natural immunity and i believe this is actually the reason for so much sickness, breeders then thinking they had cured a problem in their flock pass on stock which then succumb to desease from the slightest bit of stress or new challenge to its immune system it encounters!

It's a very valid opinion too ! 

Any medical intervention made by us will inevitably reduce the benificial effect of natural selection.

croad langshan

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2009, 07:52 »

It's a very valid opinion too ! 

Any medical intervention made by us will inevitably reduce the benificial effect of natural selection.
Yep thats all very true but its seems there is a lot of Newcastle Disease breaking out again because the large hatcherys stopped vaccinating against it and its a notifiable disease so i think there are certain things you are better to vaccinate against that will kill a chicken and others that maybe you should let them build up an immunity too. Its a quandery!!! if thats how you spell it!!!! :D   

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2009, 07:58 »
I believe in vaccination for many things CL. 

I don't think I can wait several thousand years for natural selection to do the job  :lol:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2009, 08:25 »
I was only saying why i think these deseases may be becoming a problem
I believe in vaccinations if you can (i cant cause you cant get small doses) and antibiotics etc, i was just thinking out loud that compared to the olden days we seem to have so many drugs and vaccines for things, that a day will come when we will have no immunity to anything, humans included. the only things that seem to be evolving their natural immunity are the bugs and deseases that we are trying to stop!
i am not for 1 minute telling anyone not to vaccinate or treat their animals. i was merely pondering the difference now to the olden days!

Debbie

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2009, 08:33 »
We understand that completely Debbie  :D

If you transfere the thought to humans then vaccination and any intervention by the medical profession which means people live on to reproduce children are also responsible for weakening of the human gene pool and working against natural selection.

Both Worzel and I and many of our living friends and relatives would have died  before passing on their dodgey genes to offspring.  :ohmy:

I don't think many would say medical science is a bad thing though :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44 »
Both Worzel and I and many of our living friends and relatives would have died  before passing on their dodgey genes to offspring. 

:lol: :lol: :lol: im sure your not that bad auntie!  ;) although slightly worried about the 17th now?  ???  :lol:

Debbie

croad langshan

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2009, 10:04 »
We understand that completely Debbie  :D

If you transfere the thought to humans then vaccination and any intervention by the medical profession which means people live on to reproduce children are also responsible for weakening of the human gene pool and working against natural selection.

Both Worzel and I and many of our living friends and relatives would have died  before passing on their dodgey genes to offspring.  :ohmy:

I don't think many would say medical science is a bad thing though :D
  Most of the vaccines you can get are actually very cheap, i get the infectious brochitus vaccine for £1.00 the Newcastle disease for £2.00 and Mareks for £10.00, its the mycoplasma ones that are expensive and the cocciodosis. But i hatch around 500 chicks a month so i do it for the wellfare of the babes! 

stickywicket

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2009, 15:00 »
I had 4 chickens but had one put down about this time last year. I think she may well have had mycoplasma (small swelling on one side of face initially then whole of one side of her face swelled up , vet lanced the swelling and got pus out and gave baytril but then bird got lots of snot in her nose and phlem and went downhill very quickly) ). The vet didn't think it was anything infectious but I don't think he knew much about chickens at all. My  other 3 birds are all fine apart from one who sneezes occasionally. Do you think my bird had mycoplasma given that the other 3 are fine or do you think the  other 3 are likely to have mycoplasma in their system but just not showing any symptoms?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2009, 15:04 »
No I don't think your bird had myco - there was no pus in the swollen sinuses or eyes of mine. Most vets would know of mycoplasma and respiratory infections whether they are poultry vets or not. Birds will sneeze occasionally it's a method of getting dust etc out of their system.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
MYCOPLASMA

Started by The Oxtish on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 14:12
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mycoplasma?

Started by D on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 08:47
by joyfull
xx
Mycoplasma

Started by Truffle on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 22:49
by Chookiechook
xx
Mycoplasma

Started by JaK on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 11:03
by JaK

Page created in 1.069 seconds with 29 queries.