Weird egg laying; the sequel

• 5 Replies

viettaclark

Weird egg laying; the sequel
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:20 »
I expect many of you have read about Phyllis (32 weeks) who was laying erratically. I put it down to workmen in the garden disturbing her and sure enough, she settled down and has been laying a normal egg every morning for about 2 weeks. :D Good girl!
Tuesday morning she gave me a HUGE double yolker but nothing on Wednesday morning so I checked the poo trays under the perches and there were TWO normal sized but soft eggs. Unfotunately they'd both split in the fall. So she'd technically laid 4 eggs in less than 24 hours! :ohmy:
There have been no workmen and nothing to upset her that I'm aware of but it has been incredibly windy and all the girls have been skittish. Lulu has been positively naughty  ::)by not wanting to come in and having to be moved from the nesting box that same night.
Phyllis is a Magpie which I believe is a Marran hen crossed with a Plymouth Rock :unsure: I know the French love Marrans because they lay and eat well but wondered if anyone else has this cross and whether they have a similar problem?
I'm not actually too worried. I'm grateful for her offerings but it does seem a shame that she goes to all that effort and the eggs can't be eaten!!! :(

viettaclark

Re: Weird egg laying; the sequel
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:56 »
Just been out to check on Phyllis who must have been in the nest box for an hour or so. She wasn't laying herself but was sitting on 2 eggs from the others. I know they were laid early this morning but they are VERY WARM. She has also been flattening herself when I come near. Could she be broody and how can I get her out of it? 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12 »
Yes she's going broody - my maran Brenda Lee goes broody at the drop af an hat egg (aptly named as then she lays sweet nothings  :lol:). In order to stop her I have to send her to the confines of a cage for a few days and it takes a couple of weeks before she lays again.  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

eveshamchelle

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:54 »
I've got a Magpie, she's the only one of my three that hasn't gone broody in the three months we've had them! Hope I haven't spoken too soon as my Speckeldy is broody currently and only having one egg a day is really tough! 

My Magpie has been the best layer too, if she's missed 5 eggs in three months I'd be surprised, she's brilliant.

Callie

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:05 »
we have an amber link who did exactly same thing last week, laid 1 enormous dinosaur egg(double yolker) in the morning and then when we were calling them in she suddenly stopped, fluffed out and popped out a soft shell egg, and then as if nothing had happened she ran into the run and ate her corn, and then again, 10 minutes later, she fluffed up and popped another one out.  We were pretty gobsmacked.... 4 eggs in 12 hours. 

The next morning she kept going into the nestbox and looking round as if to say "I'm sure there's something i should be doing"  lol

She's laid normally since.... until this morning when she laid another huge one but so far no more soft ones

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 18:48 »
Phyllis didn't lay yesterday but I got a lovely normal egg later this morning! :D
Have to see how the girls cope with my daughter's 17th garden party tonight which has already started with LOUD music! I'm hoping 8doubles is right about hens not really being affected by much when they're soundo!!!
I'm off upstairs...it's too hectic for me. Just got to shut the pop hole at about 8.

question
Weird egg laying

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 09:25
by viettaclark
xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
clip
Weird Egg

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 17:07
by danfinn1

Page created in 0.711 seconds with 37 queries.