How to choose the varities you grow?

• 22 Replies

green_fingered_ash

How to choose the varities you grow?
« on: August 25, 2009, 20:06 »
i've spent many hours just sitting at a computer clueless at which vegetable and fruit seeds to buy and its usually whats the cheapest on offer which usually turned out great :)

but seeing as im hopefully getting an allotment next year i want to plan ahead and have the correct varieties bought and stored ready for planting. so how do you make your decision. i usually think biggest is best but its the smaller fruit and veg that taste better, but bigger varities give bigger yeilds.

if you have any varities you swear by dont hesitate to elighten me :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: How to choose the varities you grow?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 20:37 »
if you have any varities you swear by dont hesitate to elighten me :)

If you ask, you'll get 100's of different answers & be no better off - but try it anyway, this is a forum after all.

There's only on real way find out, as I'm sure you'll realise, and even having found a variety you like, another will come along & tempt you.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 20:43 »
DD's right!
After .....oh so many years i'm still trying to find the perfect tomato, and tried 2 new runner beans this year.
You never know if a new variety might just be better than the one you grew last year...so you have to try them ( well i do anyway ) and sometimes they are an improvement...but only sometimes :)
So try what you like the look of in the catalogues, if it doesn't work try a different one next year........... :D

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 21:12 »
Yes there is no better way than suck it and see, but a few pointers:

If you get a handful of seed catalogues you will find that the same varieties appear in several catalogues these are usually the tried and tested ones (and usually cheaper)

The same varieties are likely to appear in Lidl, Wilkinsons etc and be even cheaper

If it says "F1" in the name it will be more expensive, contain very few seeds, be very vigorous and all be ready at the same time.

If you want lots of seeds in a packet (eg carrots) try Seeds of Italy (Franchi)

but as others have said you'll never stop trying something new, its great fun - enjoy.

Clover

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 12:00 »
If you're finding both catalogues and websites confusing try your local library.

Mine is generally useless for me and I haven't been for many years, but when I first got my plot I was broke and couldn't afford any books so I dropped in to take a look.  I was amazed at some of the books that I came across in the gardening section.

As a beginner, they're really useful because they're more organised.

The Heligan Vegetable Bible (if you can find it) is a wonderful book if you like all the classic/traditional English vegetables.  It explains the pros and cons between the varieties and exactly when to sow each one really well and is packed with photos.  The potato pages are a delight.

or if you're into Italian vegetables
From Plot to Plate is a good one too.

Those were my two favourite library finds for varieties.  I'm sure there are others.

I note things down from websites too but books are definitely a good starting point.

(Mind you, my main interest is variety and taste rather than price and yield but there may be good books for that too)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:20 by Clover »

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 23:34 »
That's easy...Next year I'll be growing the seeds I've bought for half price at wilkinson's :D
IT'll only be my second season so I'm still experimenting...this year most of my seed was donated so I didn't know what variety I was getting anyway. Perhaps I'll be more choosy as I get to know what grows well in this area and what we enjoy eating. Experimenting is half the fun and for me being able to eat something I've grown from seed is the reward.

scousemouse

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:56 »
I'm in my second year now and I have the same trouble - which variety or even which actual veg to grow!  My uncle's been gardening for ages and he gave me a couple of suggestions which I thought were good advice.

He suggested growing things that were expensive in the shops like sweetcorn or aubergines, blueberries, etc.  And like the poster up above says, if every seed company has a variety, e.g. Gardener's Delight tomatoes, then they're a standard, generally reliable variety. 

I like to try and grow "exotic" things that you don't get in the shops anymore like Tigerella tomatoes or crystal lemon cucumbers (very nice indeed).  For example, for my first ever attempt at growing french beans I got a dwarf purple variety and I bought some skerry blue potatoes that are actually blue (or purple).  It costs more but it's fun to watch them grow. 

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 06:13 »
Two thoughts...
1. See what grows well in your area - what are other people growing? Our ground seems very suited to anything "oniony"
2. Try stuff that you can't buy in the shops (yellow courgettes for eg) or stuff that just tastes divine when its freshly picked/dug.. new pots... sweetcorn to name 2.

Good luck and have fun!

gillie

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 08:37 »
Choose one catalogue whose style of writing you like - say Suttons, Dobies or Marshalls - and buy from that catalogue almost exclusively.  I find it easier to choose from a printed catalogue than from the web versions, though of course you can still go online to order.

You can branch out into other companies with a more exotic collection later.

Cheers,

Gillie

Pompey Spud

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:53 »
Your allotment site may have a shop and be a member of the National association.

Seed prices are than way cheaper as they'll have a deal with someone like King's Seeds.

I'd always stick with F1 varieties as you than know the seed is of quality and doesn't cost that much more and will be cheaper if brought through your site shop.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

gillie

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:10 »
"I'd always stick with F1 varieties "

I don't!  You get far fewer seeds in the packet of an F1 variety and a germination failure usually means going out to get another packet.  Also F1s are usually bred for uniformity - every plant comes ready at once.  This is exactly what I don't want.  I want to be able to spread the harvest.

The seed quality of non hybrid varieties from well known suppliers is tested to a high standard and is not a problem.

I choose almost exclusively for flavour rather than yield.  I can buy flavourless veg. cheaply any time.

Cheers,

Gillie

Pompey Spud

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 10:37 »
Horses for courses.

However, as an example to buy F1. Clapton, the cauli variety is very resistant to Club Root.

My F1 Sweetcorn variety is yummie as are my toms. You can also add my leeks to that as well.

IMO which that is all it is and according to popular allotment books. F1 can provide quality produce that ticks all the boxes for a few pence more.

:happy:

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:20 »
After our first year of small succeses (?) were planning on trying new crops and new varieites - for us its all part of the fun! Living up north and only having beds in the garden, I tend to look for hardy, 'outdoor' crops (cucumbers for next year!) even though I may still put them in the greenhouse and compact/container/bush varieities that wont go mental and gfill up all the space (as our pumpkins are currently doing!!). Finally weve stocked up on seeds for 50p a pack in wyevales sales - winner!!

Ivor Backache

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 12:09 »
Hello G.F.A.
1. Switch off the computer.
2. Take a piece of A4 and draw your allotment. Probably 60'X20'.Divide it into four quarters, to start crop rotation.
3. In each quarter put potatoes, legumes, brassica and roots. (ideally in that order)
4. Enter crops that you EAT. Nice to grow expensive things but what's the point if the family don't like them. Adjust each quarter according to your requirements. You may want more carrots than peas or more beans than cabbages etc.
5. Chose from one catalogue and order.
6. Keep your empty seed packets. You will soon forget what you have planted. Discuss with other allotmenteers what they are doing.
7. This is ongoing. I will be making changes next year because I have seen the results on other allotments.  One thing for sure: failing to plan is planning to fail.

Good luck. Just remember that everything wants to live. That includes your carrots, beans and onions as well as caterpillers, blight and white rot...............

Gemma_25

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 12:22 »
Ivor,

That's exaclty what I did using the River Cottage veg handbook, excellent read!

:D
I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member :-D

question
Strawberry Varities

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 16:24
by Goosegirl
xx
Mushrooms in onion trough + Patio varities

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 22:25
by GreyScales
xx
Help me choose my first raised bed

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 16:19
by Munchkin
sad
Which allotment to choose?

Started by moonstar on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 23:18
by yaxley

Page created in 0.616 seconds with 38 queries.