Mushrooms in onion trough + Patio varities

• 3 Replies

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
Mushrooms in onion trough + Patio varities
« on: April 28, 2014, 20:58 »
Two questions if I may :)

There are small brown mushrooms coming up in my trough of overwintered onions. Could the fungi contaminate the onions and make them inedible/poisonous? I don't know the variety of mushroom I'm afraid.

Last year my attempts to grow normal sized courgettes in pots was a bit of a disaster, so this year I'm trying a variety specifically for containers. I've got Patio Star courgettes and I'm also giving Butterbush winter squash a go, but the one piece of information neither of them seem to specify is what size of container to use :unsure: For varieties intended for containers, all the instructions I've found are for sowing in the ground.

I know bigger is better, but in a block paved garden with limited growing area; I'd appreciate the optimum size in cm/inch if possible. I'm assuming it's 30-40cm for these compact varieties?

Thank you for any assistance.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 21:01 by GreyScales »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Mushrooms in onion trough + Patio varities
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:36 »
The mushrooms are indications that the compost in the trough is sitting pretty wet, but I think its highly unlikely they will contaminate your onions  :)

As regards planters for your courgette and butternut squash, I would concentrate on getting a good deep container. 30-40cm across the top is a bit on the small side.  Maybe try going a little bigger.  If the container was twice as deep as wide, that would really help.

These are hungry, thirsty plants, so I personally would use mix multi-purpose compost and John Innes no 2 to give the growing medium more substance.  Water retaining gel would be a boon if you have it.  Then water and feed really regularly. 

We have in the past done various pots at work (garden centre) to dress up the veg plant area.  Even though we have the hose going almost non-stop over the summer, anything from the cucurbit family seems to need twice as much water as anything else  ;)

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 08:55 »
Slow release fertiliser in the pots would also help.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 22:25 »
I'll certainly look into bigger containers, but as with everything for me its space space space :lol: So it may come down to having one less plant to provide the remainder the necessary container size.

Also glad to hear my onions are unlikely to poison me  :)

question
Strawberry Varities

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 16:24
by Goosegirl
xx
How to choose the varities you grow?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 07:44
by tizzy
xx
veg trough question

Started by Dawnuss on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 23:29
by agapanthus
xx
sort of trough to put flowers in

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 09:45
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.588 seconds with 37 queries.