carrot root fly: how best to eradicate

• 23 Replies

Miss Bean

carrot root fly: how best to eradicate
« on: August 25, 2009, 18:43 »
Having just harvested an entire row of carrots and only being able to cook enough for one meal, I'm on the look out for some good advice! I really do not want a repeat performance next year!  :mad:

I purchased the seed in a French supermarket and as far as I could see it wasn't a fly resistant variety…

I sowed the seed in a 1/2" drill at the end of May. My soil is very sandy so I kept the seedlings well-watered during the early weeks when it was particularly hot. Germination looked pretty good, and once through, I did my best not to disturb the plants or the ground around them.

But the resulting crop was sooooo disappointing! Is there anything I should do in preparation for next year? And is there a better planting time / technique?

Thanks
Lesley, loves growing beans!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: carrot root fly: how best to eradicate
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 19:08 »
Late sown carrots can avoid one one of the flush of fly, but they do seem to be pretty much around all year these days.

The only way I and others have found is in the form of a barrier, the most effective of which I've found to be a covering of Enviromesh.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 20:02 »
Hello there I had the same problem last year with my carrots.So this year I tried a variety called maestro which are said to be carrot fly resistent and the results were exellent. I would recommened tryiny them.
                                                      yours Neil

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 20:17 »
My first few batches of carrots I planted back in April were just covered with fleece and pegged down at the edges, with a lot of loose fleece to allow for growth. They did fine and had a great yield.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 20:46 »
I grown my carrots in an old bath and use fleece.  They are the best they have ever been. 

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 12:21 »
I use fleece, but I've grown a variety called 'Flyaway' this year. I pulled some up for the first time yesterday and they were really nice and sweet.
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 12:31 »

I tried 3 varieties of carrot this year, and I lost 100% of them to carrot fly, and about 90% of parsnips too...grrrrrrrrr!!  :(

This was despite enviromeshing to start with for myApril plantings, think I removed once fairly mature. Got really nice carrots too, some 10" or so long, but all tunnelled into and unusable. Same for the ones I grew in a half barrel too...

I'm going to try Flyaway and Maestro next year, and use fleece the whole way through their growth...neighbouring plot holders carrots and 'snips are excellent though, so do the flies lay eggs in the soil and return to the local area perhaps?

Wondering why he didn't get attacked?...but not giving up yet!!!

Phill  >:(

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 16:23 »
I think some people have secrets - my neighbouring plot holder always has fantastic carrots and they are never covered with anything, but unless I cover mine completely they get devoured. I must ask him what his secret is but I bet he won't tell me!
Rachael

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 16:49 »
Perhaps he's still got an illegal store of Bromophos which he's using?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 17:13 »
Whistles innocently.....

goodegg

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 17:37 »
chershire phill are you sure you didnt have wire worms if your carrots where so full of tunnels

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 08:44 »

Hmmm, haven't really done the "Pest Expert" thing to death, the surfaces were well tunnelled, and little tiny (5mm?) white grubs were evident. I did wonder about Swift Moth at the time, and especially in the parsnips, but perhaps wireworm is another possibility?

Either way, they got scoffed!!

I know 'tis illegal, but what are the bromophos equivalent treatments then for carrot fly (eggs?) or wireworm? I reckon it could be my plot has something i nthe soil, which I could do with improving over the winter....

Any hints appreciated!!

Phill

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 16:44 »
You lucky thing DD. ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 17:12 »
You lucky thing DD. ;)

I hide it behind the creosote.  ;)

Actually it's been sitting in the garage unused for 20 years or so. Note it gives coverage in square feet!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 18:06 »

I know 'tis illegal, but what are the bromophos equivalent treatments then for carrot fly (eggs?) or wireworm? I reckon it could be my plot has something i nthe soil, which I could do with improving over the winter....

Any hints appreciated!!

Phill

Phill you should realise that we can't advise the use of anything illegal or encourage other members to do so  >:(

Next time it will be the norty step  ;) :lol:

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Carrot root fly

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 19:13
by Trillium
xx
carrot root fly

Started by fastmonkey85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 21:12
by Trikidiki
xx
Carrot root fly

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2015, 13:57
by compostqueen
xx
carrot root fly again

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 07:07
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 36 queries.