Chesty hen

• 3 Replies

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Chesty hen
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:31 »
Hi, I bought a 1 year old Light Brahma hen back in June, almost straight away i noticed a rattly chest , so i got anti biotic injections from the vet and it cleared up, its come back again, the very hot summer hasn't helped . She also does some dark runny poos. She is fine in herself , some days her comb looks a bit pale , she hasn't laid at all since i've had her. I was reading somewhere how fab garlic is so i'm trying that for the minute before i get more meds. There is no sneezing or coughing and she isn't rattly every day, does anyone have any ideas please?
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Foxy

Re: Chesty hen
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:06 »
Hi Kitkat, it does sound like your brahma had an infection called infectious bronchitis, probably before you bought her, it doesn't have a particualry high mortality in older birds but does seem to have an effect thereafter on the respiratory system, making them susceptible to infections like sacculitis,(air sacs) primarily as the IB may have left damage or artifacts there.
The other problem with IB is that the original disease would have infected the reproduction tract, and at an age where she was still developing this would have interferred with egg laying, leading to odd, misshapen or soft eggs to no eggs at all. Brahmas do tend to start laying rather late as they take a long time to develop and mature.
The only treatment now IMO is to ensure that at times of stress she is given a little extra TLC, the garlic in the drinking water is a good idea, plus a good tonic, Lifeguard or an Oregano based product. Keep worming topped up, and add ACV to the water, at any signs of rattling start on the antibiotics -  stock of tylan would be the best. Good husbandry as well, ensuring good quality bedding at all times (I'm sure you do! :D)
I had a hen a few years back that I bought with what we thought had at sometime been infected with IB, and she did have very similar symtoms to the ones you describe, since then I have very,very rarely brought in new birds and only then if I know the breeder personally. :)

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:41 »
Hi Foxy, thanks for that. I think your right :(. I am guessing this isn't contagious, as i actually bought 2 Brahmas from this breeder, the other one is ok, as are all the others?
     Is it ok that she doesn't lay at all? I'm not bothered[hey, whats another freeloader] and obviously i wont breed from her, and if she did lay would the eggs be ok to eat?
     We are moving house in a couple of months, which will be stressful for her i know so i will dose her up beforehand, i need to order some meds on line tonight to get sent over, we dont have much choice over here.
   Sorry for all the questions but if i google these things, i end up scared to death :(
 Thanks for your help :)

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 06:53 »
Sorry this went off the page, anyone please? :)

xx
Bubbly eyes and chesty :(

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 16:25
by Foxy

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 28 queries.