Bubbly eyes and chesty :(

• 11 Replies

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Bubbly eyes and chesty :(
« on: August 17, 2009, 22:13 »
Hi  :)

I am a newbie today and have my first  question all lined up for you :)

I have four newish battery hens who are laying well and seem fairly well... apart from one who has bubbly eyes occasionally and they are all a bit rattly :(

I think perhaps it is a respiratory infection (mycoplasma)?? but am not sure what I need to give them.

My vet is not at all chickeny but will probably let me buy some meds from him.

I have a little bit of Baytril which I was given for my hamster..... but not enough to mix in water..... could I administer it directly to the chooks???  And if so how much???

Thanks for any replies that I get.  :)

I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

nicchick

• Experienced Member
Re: Bubbly eyes and chesty :(
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 22:25 »
Hi, get some baytril - injections if you can as they work faster and better and are not that expensive. Infections spread quickly and chickens hide their symptoms so they are really ill by the time you notice. Baytril is relatively safe and a good antibiotic for chickens. Nic.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 22:26 »
Not sure I would be able to jab them :(  Do you know the dosage for oral administration rather than just putting it in their water :)

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 22:28 »
yep agree,it does sound like an upper respiratory infection, Baytril  or tylan would be a good antibiotic, which is given to birds dependant on weight. If you have just a few birds I would give orally, via syringe, depends on what formulation you have, what does it say on the bottle? :) If your vet is happy to have a look would be a good idea though, normally a quick consultation and prescription should not be costly, particulary if the symptoms are quite obvious :) In the meantime, apple cider vinegar in the water, would help, plus a good clean of the henhouse with a good disinfectant will help. Avoid bedding like hay, and just use dust extracted shavings. Exbatts are used to a pretty controlled enviroment.Hope this helps! :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 22:51 »
Thanks for the information :)

They are in a nice clean house with shavings and no hay or straw :)  They are laying well and very active. 

The bubbly eyes have only been seen on one or two occasions in the last three weeks in one hen and the other hen I got on Friday has had them once..... but she is having a bit of a time getting settled in as one of the others has taken a very personal dislike to her :(

To be honest they do not look ill at all..... but you can hear that they are not quite right :(

I have done a search for Baytril and it seems that the withdrawel period is around 7-14 days depending on who is asked..... and another member said that they had Aureomycin for future use.... but that says not to use in laying birds at all.... so not sure if its safe or not :( :(

Getting more confused by the minute :)

The stuff I was given for the hamster is only the 2.5% stuff, and I think that I need the 10% stuff for poultry :(  So maybe no use then???

I will speak to vet tomorrow.... he is out on Weds anyway to see my horse, so may even get one to him for a sneaky look that day :) :)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 23:36 »
Hello! i use an antibiotic called aureomycin (thanks joyfull) apparently it is the same antibiotic as tylan but turn sthe water green rather than blue. all you do is mix 3 teaspoons into 5 litres of water and they will take the right dose as they drink. the other plus with this one is there is no egg withdrawel and after using baytril last time i had to throw away over 100 eggs and i only had 6 layers at the time!
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 04:42 »
The only withdrawal period with aureomycin and chickens is in meat chickens and then it's only one day. My vet charges me £18.25 for a tub and a tub goes a loooooong way, but have heard of other vets who charge more. I know of several people now who have used it with good results. You can only give it mixed in water though unlike baytril. If it is mycoplasma your vet may want to prescribe metacam as well (not licensed in poultry - it's the stuff they give dogs - mine was given a dose as though my hen was a terrier) which is a anti inflamitory so will help ease your hens throat (apparently it's honey flavoured and my hen loved it so syringing it down her throat after the first attempt was no problem -  :D).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Potiron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:08 »
A small amount of Cider Vinegar, not as a cure, but as a preventative works very well also helps keep chickens clear of any worms, should the pick any up whilst forageing.
Ears and Eyes open, Gob shut.

Potiron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 07:10 »
Sorry, should have said, the Cider vinegar to go in their water. :blush:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 07:53 »
I'm not sure that's altogether true Potiron.  ACV does help to reduce the mucous coating in the digestive tract which makes it more difficult for things to lurk around in there.  Regular worming should be carried out too.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 15:05 »
Thanks everyone :) :)  I will keep you posted :)

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 16:25 »
Hi the dose for Baytril oral 2.5% (avian) is 0.4ml per kg, given twice a day,I imagine the same as used for your hamster as long as you gave orally and not diluted in water. Have a chat with your vet.

xx
bubbly eyes

Started by caseyplume on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 19:53
by Jeff Glanrhyd
xx
bubbly eyes

Started by bood77 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 05:58
by bood77
xx
Head Shaking/Bubbly Eyes

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 19:38
by Aunt Sally
xx
Chesty hen

Started by kitkat on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 06:53
by kitkat

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 28 queries.