Can you help me

• 2 Replies

famb

Can you help me
« on: August 23, 2009, 06:17 »
Hi to all.
I have 19 hens. They are our pets. We love them and care for them and they reward us by giving us delicious eggs to eat.

My problem:   about a month ago, one of our chickens became lethargic, let us walk up to it and pick it up without moving away from us, started vomiting (after it would drink water, the water would come back out of its mouth), unstable on its feet, sat down away from the flock, lost a lot of weight.
A few days of trying to nurse it back to health didn't improve its condition and we had to cull it.

About a month later, noticed another hen (approx 3 months old) wobbling as it walked, sitting down a lot, not roosting on the roosting bar, healthy appetite, rear of the bird is hunched over, no dirrhea or vomiting.

Please help. Do these two birds seem to have the same thing?  What do you suggest I do. This is my pet and I don't want to have to cull it, too.

My birds are free range and have a large area to roam.

Foxy

Re: Can you help me
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:31 »
were these 2 hens the same age? The poorly one now is 3mths old?
Difficult to say if is the same thing, the second one sounds a bit like cocci, which is highly infectious. The first one could've had a number of things. :)

grumpydad

Re: Can you help me
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:34 »
i am sure someone will be along soon to give lots of advice.
do you give any tonic to the hens ?
can you get tylan or baytril from a vet ?, both are anti biotics to help them.
there are lots of problems it could be, what is the birds comb like, if it is going pale then possibly the bird may be going anaemic. if the bird looks depressed the it could be stressed due to weather or change of food, or it could have just eaten something that it was not meant to.
have you checked to see if it is egg bound ?
try a search on the site for any of the problems, and you will get a list back with lots of advice. good luck
martyn

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 28 queries.