Herbs and growing them indoors.

• 10 Replies

Riala

Herbs and growing them indoors.
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:59 »
I would to try herb growing again as I spend a small fortune on store bought ones, and frankly, they lack much flavour.

I would like to grow flat leaf parsley, basil, thyme and maybe tarragon? Or at least a selection of 3+ herbs.

So my questions are: How easy are they to grow and keep?

How long from seed to table?

My Chives died fairly quickly once they had established, I thought herbs were cut and grow like my lettuce... or am I wrong?

PlymouthMaid

Re: Herbs and growing them indoors.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 14:29 »
Do they have to be indoors? I think many are happier in bigger pots outside (my chives are a weed for instance) but it is definitely worth a go. I grew basil on the windowsill but I think you would have to sow it successionally really or grow a load and freeze it or something as it does go to seed eventually.

Riala

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 15:06 »
More than happy to grow it outside, but I thought that with everything else, they need to be sown in Spring.

If I can sow them outdoors now, that is perfect as I can get a bigger pot!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 15:17 »
Hi Riala,

I grow quite a few herbs and much further north than you are. Flat parsley, coriander, chives, garlic chives, two types of mint, basil, thyme, sage and tarragon - all in pots. Only a small glitch this year with the first sewing of coriander and the basil taking off slowly, both I believe down to the general temperature being cooler.

To preserve, you have various options such as freezing in ice cubes trays or drying depending on the type of plant. 

HTH

Lorna. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Riala

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 17:11 »
Yes, I planned on the ice cube trick :D

Thanks all, I will get growing this weekend!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 17:12 »
My advice to you would be to buy a growing pot from the supermarket of the herbs you would like, as i've never succeeded with seed at this time of year :(  repot the bought ones in slightly bigger pots. Parsley and thyme can go outside, but bring parsley in again when it starts to get cold. Basil should stay on the window ledge, too late for outside now, i think.
With a little feed now and again and careful snipping/thinning when you want to use them they will keep growing for ages. The trick is never to cut too much off at a time,only to a lower leaf where buds will regrow..... unless you are removing a complete stem of parsley, or basil, to thin the pot out.

Then in the spring you can start your own from seed :)

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 20:54 »
I've grown some basil from seed, I think it's sometimes called Greek basil. It's hardier and more shrublike than usual shop stuff. It is really nice. The plants are still quite young and I'm wondering if I can overwinter them at all, or should I just start again? Thanks
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 21:08 »
Bring it in, and onto a windowledge before it gets chilly at night (not too far away now) as it is not hardy :( even then unless it is very sunny and warm it tends to just die off.
You can just freeze the stem and leaves of basil, and then when you need them, if you are quick you can just crumble what you want into your cooking and then put the rest back into the freezer :)

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 21:17 »
Thanks, Mumofstig. I hadn't thought of freezing it......I'll try that.

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 02:13 »
I grow indoors lemon basil (lovely), lime basil (don't bother tastes same as lemon but not quite as good) plain old basil and distintive flavoured basil siam queen (tastes like liquorice or aniseed) grows well hasn't died on me yet or gone to seed.

Also grow Dill lovely taste, and Chervil.  Chervil I have to redo about every three months, as starts looking poorly.  Dill I redo as I use so much of it, I need to replenish the plant.  They are only in small 5" pots.

I use the feathery leaves of the dill rather than the seeds.

Grown outside Dill and Chervil go to seed quicker.  Dill you can use the seeds that form, when plant goes to seed, when they are light brown, in stews onions etc.  Basil leaves seem to go a bit thicker. outside.

Inside pots do attract little black flies, I use sticky yellow paper works quite well.

I've just replanted some Chervil and Dill 7 days ago in pots in very warm conservatory, the dill is up an inch with seed leaves, the chervil is still shy.  Basil usually doesn't take long either. 

Probably 5 weeks and ready to eat but don't cut too much off let them establish and reestablish.

I grow these indoors all year round.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 02:19 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

sclarke624

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 02:34 »
French tarragon has the best flavour, but can only be grown from cuttings or buying a plant, or try rooting some supermarket stuff.  Russian Tarragon is the one sold in packets of seed.  Russian Tarragon is very invasive apparently, if in ground, and inferior flavour.

xx
What can I start off growing indoors now?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 17:54
by garddwr
xx
Growing Runner bean seedlings indoors

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 11:47
by heygrow
xx
Growing and looking after herbs - please help

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 13:25
by Annie
xx
Growing Herbs.

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 11:23
by lettice

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 32 queries.