What can I start off growing indoors now?

• 9 Replies

Kagganz

« on: October 26, 2008, 10:58 »
I have a conservatory that gets sun (yes I did say sun  8) ) for most of the day, I also have bought a couple of propagators, feed etc..

I shall be growing vegetables outdoors in containers and sacks (she said very convincingly) in the Spring.......... .........but what would be easy for me to sow indoors now, I just want to see something growing!

I'm going to have another look through Johns book, but thought I'd ask you lot aswell x

Gwiz

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 13:35 »
Howsabout some broad beans? we start them off in the greenhouse now, harden them off in a cold frame, and stick 'em in the ground in a month or so under some fleece for protection.
You could always wait untill feb/march for them as well.
Great avatar, by the way! :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 13:38 »
You could also try all the year round lettuce, and carrots.  :D

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kagganz

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 14:25 »
Thanks, I've just bought 2 sorts of broad beans, 'The Sutton' for sowing outside in spring and another type Aquadulce Claudia' which I'm going to sow indoors now and plant out next month (hope I'm doing right)......also got some sweetcorn for next year too, I'm waiting for some winter lettuce and spring onions to be delivered. Ooh and I also got 3 fruit bushes, 2 raspberries and a blueberry one!!.............off to sort the broad beans now . Thanks again x D

Drumelzier

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 14:32 »
Quote from: "Kagganz"
Thanks, I've just bought 2 sorts of broad beans, 'The Sutton' for sowing outside in spring and another type Aquadulce Claudia' which I'm going to sow indoors now and plant out next month (hope I'm doing right)......also got some sweetcorn for next year too, I'm waiting for some winter lettuce and spring onions to be delivered. Ooh and I also got 3 fruit bushes, 2 raspberries and a blueberry one!!.............off to sort the broad beans now . Thanks again x D

Strangely enough I've just put some 'Aquadulce Claudia' straight into the ground this afternoon.
Thought about sowing them indoors but decided just to go for it outside and see what happens as I've never grown them before.

Kagganz

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 15:00 »
Just sown my broad beans (40 of 'em) in those plug pellet thingies, they look as if they're all snuggled up in sleeping bags!

Talk about being molly coddled!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 15:02 »
Don't be tempted when it comes to sowing time to put everything in propagators. A lot did this year to their cost.

Fine to start off things like peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers etc. - stuff you'd grow in a greenhouse, but not the like of brassicas which prefer cooler temperatures.

Also as soon as the seed has germinated, get the tray out of the propagator into a cooler, but still warm spot, like a window sill. Stick some aluminium foild behind the tray to reflect the light.

But you probably knew that!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kagganz

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 16:24 »
I was wondering when I needed to take the top off of the propagator......thanks for that  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 16:30 »
Quote from: "Kagganz"
I was wondering when I needed to take the top off of the propagator......thanks for that  :D

Yes, leave them in - they go all weak & wobbly!

garddwr

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 17:54 »
that what happend to mine

xx
When to start sowing indoors?

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 16:24
by mushroom
xx
Do you sow broad beans outside or start off indoors ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 17:09
by garddwr
xx
Pea Question: Start Off Indoors or Plant Straight Out?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 20:47
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Can I start Brussels and Cabbage in a unheated propagator indoors?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 13:32
by Yana

Page created in 0.581 seconds with 36 queries.