using same piece of ground

• 64 Replies

greeneyesgreedy

Re: using same piece of ground
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2009, 07:39 »
yes, please, Peter.. where do rubber chips come from?????
 :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
Thanks  ::)
3 boys..1 husband...4 hens coming on Sunday!!!

hillfooter

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2009, 03:51 »
I'm sure it would be more interesting if rubber chips came from Ann Summers but they are in fact shredded tyres with the steel wire (most important with chx) removed.  They are sold for horse arenas and gallops so you need to find an equestrian supplier source.  they are often mixed with sand to bulk them up and reduce cost.  Personally I would have thought that chicken droppings might be difficult to remove from rubber chippings and a composible base would be preferable such as Forest Mulch (tree shreddings but make sure there's no laurel or laburnam). 

Rubber chippings are frowned upon by environmentalists as they are not bio-degradable and stay in the environment and are difficult to get rid of.

Regards
Truth through science.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2009, 08:49 »
I think we've decided (we keep changing our minds!) that we'll enclose only half the land we could give the chickens, so that we can change the run to the other half once a year (might be too difficult to move a 4x4m run, so plans may change!) ...
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Ruby Red

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2009, 08:51 »

What are the measurements of your run at the narrowest point. Mine didnt have a roof. My OH  screwed a thin baton of wood , about 2", along the top of the run which is 9ft long. Then we bought several sheets of clear corrigated plastic and fastened it to the baton. As it was elevated by a couple of inches the rain just runs off. it didnt take him long to do it even though he is a perfectionist. Seemples! The rain can do what it likes we now have dry floors in the run - covered in rough bark chippings - and happy hens. Just my opinion but weighing up pros and cons of using bark, its miles safer than stinky wet mud that harbours disease. Good Luck
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

henrietta5

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2009, 00:18 »
hello again - I think 'Wells Poultry" sell rubber bark chippings.  Another question about the bark though.... Haven't yet sorted out the drainage or lack of roof ( it's been too wet ) but meantime the rain just keeps mushing the poo from my 11 hens into the already soggy bark.  I notice various members talk about picking up the poo in their enclosures every day, but it's all too squidgy to actually pick up ! I worry about the hens walking around in this during the day.  Will it do them any harm ?  Should I be treating the bark with something ?  Would it be alright just to try turning/raking it over ?  I didn't reckon on  three weeks of solid rain, and this is really complicating everything as the bark, and hence the poo isn't getting a chance to dry up.   However it's also not being washed away as it is still visible as gooey splats all over the bark . Help!!!! :(

xx
Keeping chickens on same piece of ground?

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 16:01
by Lewjam
xx
Piece of advice please

Started by SMIFFY on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 20:02
by muntjac
xx
what to put on the ground in their run

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 23:41
by viettaclark
xx
The ground is like a bog

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post November 16, 2013, 15:27
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 36 queries.