Pear Trees

• 4 Replies

ihusker

Pear Trees
« on: April 27, 2007, 13:09 »
Hi, all.    I've just bought a Doyenne Du Comice pear tree to take over to my garden in France. The reason I buy here is that they are a quarter of the price I would have to pay in france. My problem is that I won't be going over for another 4 weeks and I am wondering what is the best way to keep it. The roots are tightly bound in black plastic with another plastic bag over them. It's about 6 feet tall and the leaves are just beginning to appear. It seems very healthy. I put the roots in a bucket of water for half an hour when I got it and am keeping it outside in partial shade. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should do for the next 4 weeks to make sure it stays healthy. Any advice gratefully received.

wellingtons

Plant it ...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 13:27 »
.... as soon as you can, either in a big pot or in a garden if you can.

Then dig it up in four weeks' time.  I think that's your best bet for the tree to thrive.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
Pear Trees
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 13:32 »
I would pot it up for now.. then its easier to transport.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Pear Trees
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 13:55 »
A bucket might be better, a least it will have a handle on it for carrying, just pot some holes in the bottom for drainage.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ihusker

Pear trees
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 12:39 »
Thanks for all the advice. I guessed I would be better planting it temporarily but I was hoping there was some way I could leave it in its original wrapping as it has to lie flat for the journey in the back of the car as its too tall to stand upright and putting it in a large pot or bucket would be difficult to transport. I think I'll plant it temporarily then dig it up the day before we go and wrap the roots in plastic for the journey. Hopefully it will be OK for a couple of days. Thanks again for the advice.

xx
Pear Trees

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 20:34
by supervegman
xx
Pear Trees

Started by Fleetwood Pete on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 17:22
by aqua
xx
Pear trees

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 21:24
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Pear and Plum trees

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 11:08
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.92 seconds with 28 queries.