Buttercup Strawberries????

• 4 Replies

Sowing my Seeds

« on: April 27, 2007, 22:58 »
I may be looking for the impossible but.........

My recently inherited allotment has a good strawbery bed at one and covered in what appear to be healthy plants, now got lots of flowers etc, but there is also a good covering of buttercups in amongst. A lot of them appear to be rooting on the menbrane that the strawberries are growing through which are easy to remove..... here's the problem.....

A lot of them seem to be growing on or around each of the strawberry plants and rooting around them making them impossible to get up without to much disturbance to the strawbeerry plants. Any body got ideas as to what to do for the best? if i get them out I will probably loose a number of strawberry plants, if I leave them they will smother the strawberries, if I just pull the tops off they will surely just grow again...probably worse.

What to do for the best?

Bryan

WG.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 23:19 »
If it is creeping buttercup, I suggest you try to remove everything above the surface (and a little deeper), i.e. from just below the point that the roots emerge.   I don't believe it regrows from the roots.

crowndale

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 07:30 »
Not sure what to suggest but I have a buttercup problem in my borders too, fortunately no plants there as yet, haven't been in around 5 or 6 years which is why they have been able to take hold.  First couple of years I owned the house I put black weed fabric over them and they grew through it and under it.  Last year I covered them in round up and they all died back but they grew back with a vengeance this year.  When I dug up some of them this year (after more roundup) I discovered loads of little nodules at the base of the roots and figured that these were where they grew back from and so am removeing those, or as many as I can, it's tedious and long winded- hopefully it'll work!  

Maybe you could try just removing the tops this year and then move the strawberries for next year to a new bed and then tyr digging out all the buttercups once that is done?  Or just a start a new bed later in  the year with the runner plants and dig up all the old ones with the buttercups?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 08:29 »
We had a weed problem amoungst strawberries and found that a new place to grow them was the only way .We dug them up saved the new plants and then last spring ,planted them in strawberry tubs, but I'm not that happy with this method as there is a lot of watering to get a good crop.

I suppose once you have got rid of the buttercup and any other perennial weeds ,you could replant the strawberries there next year .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 13:15 »
You can get a weedkiller stick that looks like a giant pritt stick so you can dob each individual plant.

This might help, they can usually be found at wilko's etc

Save digging every thing up !
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Creeping Buttercup

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 18:32
by Yorkie
xx
Creeping Buttercup

Started by sarah1983jane on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 15:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Creeping Buttercup

Started by Hodgey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 16:30
by gobs
xx
Creeping buttercup

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 19:47
by AnneB

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 28 queries.