The next 6 months?

• 6 Replies

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
The next 6 months?
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:52 »

So, as a newby this year, I've grown almost everything, with varying degrees of success, great peas and beans, slugged potatoes and blighted tomatoes, OK onions.

I've cursed the weather, and vowed to do it differently next year, re-plan the plot, get manure, rotate etc. etc.

But what can I do now? I have 4 beds now free, since my peas, beans, potatoes and onions came out, and due to poor planning (novices, huh!), well, lack of time, if I'm honest, I have no plants left to put in the space.

I see spring cabbage and cauliflower as an option, and maybe some overwintering broad beans like Aquadulce, but what are others going to do between now and Christmas (when my first year as a plot holder is up!!).

Great site and virtual community - any ideas (or sarcasm!!) welcomed

Cheers,

Cheshire Phill

Idaho

Re: The next 6 months?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 10:08 »
Kale? Strawberries?

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:17 »
Winter cabbages, kale, over wintering Lisbon spring onions or just buy John's book and it tells you what to do every month(do I get a percentage for that promotion?) brilliant read when the backs gone after digging all day.......
If you have any strawberries, take the runners and plant them out and make a big strawberry patch if you have room. You could still plant some spinach and keep it covered at night to get it going..... Leeks could go in now, bit late but worth a try I reckon. Garlic too. 8)
Mad Mark

pushrod

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:14 »
Also worth preparing your beds for next year so that nutrients aren't depleted, particularly if you want to grow some extra large ones  :)
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:23 »
Great, thanks for the thoughts so far, keep 'em coming...if nothing else it made me remember that I do have John's book, and should get it out and read it!!!
Have a small, unruly strawberry patch, so that is worth doing!!

Plenty of bad back time for me there too.... :( :(

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 13:21 »
Hope you succeed in doing the weather differently next year, what have you got in mind? A bit less rain in July would be nice.
Don't get too hung up on having beds full all the time, just make sure they are ready when needed and that you always have something to harvest. I'm not a convert to green manuring - seems like a lot of work for little benefit to me. Just keep weeding and digging in all the compost and manure you can get hold of.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 15:53 »
Prep the soil and sow a green manure to keep it weed-free and fertile until the spring.

SS

xx
Three Months In

Started by Penfold on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 13:55
by Penfold
xx
Months behind

Started by cbu183 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 21:35
by noshed
xx
2 months later

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 24, 2007, 02:50
by WG.
xx
Six months on...

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 17:34
by Iain j

Page created in 0.726 seconds with 36 queries.