Months behind

• 8 Replies

cbu183

Months behind
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:20 »
Hi all
Unfortunately I've been quite ill for the past few months and so Ive not done any of the jobs I intended to do.  I've not even been able to get down to the allotment since the end of September.

What advice would you give about manuring and weeding now?  Is it too late to manure?  What's the best way to prepare for the new year in a short space of time?

I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks all.

cbu183

Months behind
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22 »
Me again.
I forgot to say that in September a friend gave me an apple tree in a pot and since I was ill it didn't get planted.  Could that be done now or not?
Thanks.

agapanthus

Months behind
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:47 »
If the weather is'nt too wet you could weed and then dump manure on top of the ground  and let the worms take it down for you.
As the apple tree is in a pot it can go into the ground any time of year. Make sure you dig a big enough hole and put some compost in the bottom of it and top dress it with manure. Just a reminder apple trees need another tree nearby to cross-pollinate it. If I remember correctly the crab-apple is a good pollinator.  :D

mfconway

Months behind
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 23:23 »
Hi  cbu183
Sorry to hear you havn't been well.  Dont want to make you jealous I too have not been unable to get to the lottie, but today I went to check all was well!  It was more than 'well' one of the residents (live's there all the time) had dug almost all the plot for me and it's BIG he had redone my poor attempts at making compost bins and he was back there again after lunch
I am so very lucky and privilaged to belong to such an allotment society

I would like to wish everyone who has given me advice this year and everyone belonging to this forum a fantastic Christmas, and all the best for 2009

Oh that includes you HUMBUG   Merry Christmas everyone

cbu183

Months behind
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:49 »
Thanks Agapanthus  :D and mfconway I just turned an asparagus-y shade of green :evil: .  Just the thought of everything I've got to do fills me with dread - I'm still a bit feeble.  Oh well, a bit at a time I suppose.  Merry Christmas.

noshed

Months behind
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 15:26 »
Just don't think about it all at once. Just say: "Today I'll spread manure over that strip" then do that bit and then tomorrow do another little bit. You've got loads of time before sowing time so just take it steady.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
Months behind
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 18:25 »
Quote from: "cbu183"
Me again.
I forgot to say that in September a friend gave me an apple tree in a pot and since I was ill it didn't get planted.  Could that be done now or not?
Thanks.

I planted an apple tree yesterday, I am sure it ill be fine. I have been waiting for the frost to go since I bought it.

cbu183

Months behind
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 20:58 »
Thankyou everyone.  I still feel miles behind and but at least I don't feel alone in that.  Merry Christmas to all and a fruitful New Year.

noshed

Months behind
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 21:35 »
Merry Christmas to you too.

xx
Three Months In

Started by Penfold on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 13:55
by Penfold
xx
2 months later

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 24, 2007, 02:50
by WG.
xx
Six months on...

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 17:34
by Iain j
xx
The next 6 months?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 15:53
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.