TOMATO DISASTER

• 3 Replies

Scribbler

TOMATO DISASTER
« on: August 17, 2009, 16:09 »
So not only are they not ripening, most of them have now collapsed under the weight of green tomatoes. I know I should have kept them under control and limited each plant to three or four trusses, but didn't manage that this year very well.

So I've picked a lot and they're indoors now. I'll keep them with the bananas to try and get them to turn red! :(
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Lee G

• Experienced Member
Re: TOMATO DISASTER
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 16:21 »
There are recipes for green tomato chutney on the site, use the search facility.  I was planning on making some but lost about 60 plants to blight - now that is a real disaster  :mad:

;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 17:21 »
So not only are they not ripening, most of them have now collapsed under the weight of green tomatoes. I know I should have kept them under control and limited each plant to three or four trusses, but didn't manage that this year very well.

So I've picked a lot and they're indoors now. I'll keep them with the bananas to try and get them to turn red! :(
I've got bits of twine tied at various angles across the g/h and side to side to support the truss weight, especially on some of the bigger toms. It's like an assault course getting in to pick and water. ::) Sure been a funny year for ripening...but they are getting there :D
Have found that some of them taste a bit wooly though..if you know what i mean :(

Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:50 »
I suppose we should take some consolation in the fact that the site recipe for green tomato chutney is very, very tasty.

However, I was looking forward to home grown toms like last year. Supermarket ones are so sad.

xx
Tomato disaster

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 09, 2015, 20:52
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
Tomato disaster!!!

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 22:25
by Gandan57
xx
Disaster after disaster this year

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 00:25
by leeky
xx
Oh No! Disaster of not?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:40
by hindy

Page created in 0.762 seconds with 30 queries.