Coughing, Rattly POL Hen

• 4 Replies

iwantanallotment

Coughing, Rattly POL Hen
« on: August 17, 2009, 00:33 »
I'm sorry to have yet another query  :(

Saturday night my hens went to bed as normal. Sunday morning, one hen arose with a wet-sounding cough and a rattly chest.
She spent all day, until late afternoon, huddled & hunched up under the coop, not eating, drinking or moving.
She perked up a bit then, and scratched around, ate, drank, looked entirely normal.
But every half hour or so she'd get rattly again and have a good cough, and then she'd be ok again.

Do any of you have any idea what could be ailing her? I'm worried that it's Infectious Bronchitis, but do tend to look on the bad side.

I've only had her since Thursday evening.
Have held off contacting the farm I bought her from so far, in case it's nothing or something I can sort myself. She does have a 7-day guarantee and they're lovely people, so I know they'll help if needs be.

Just thought I'd test the waters with you folk first, hope you don't mind  :blush:

snowflake

• Experienced Member
Re: Coughing, Rattly POL Hen
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 00:54 »
contact the farm and tell them shes been bad since this morning.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:56 »
could be all manner of things, from an allergy to her bedding, a cold, a respiratory infection to aspergilosis or mycoplasmosis. If it was me I would talk to the people that sold her, you could ask for an extension of her guarantee to a month, in case it is simple, or take them all back, if contagious, they've all been in contact.

Poor girlie, hope she's better really soon. (watch out for her comb going a bit blue from lack of oxygen). Lets hope its just a cold  ::)
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

iwantanallotment

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:41 »
Thanks for the replies  :)

I let them out this morning & she was first to come charging out, running round gobbling up pellets! Her comb & wattles have remained pink throughout, thankfully.

She was given a comprehensive range of vaccines during her first 15 weeks, so hopefully it's as you say IMOmimey, and just a bit of a cold  :)

I may contact the farm later if the coughing continues/is any worse, but at the moment I'm a lot happier with her.

Thanks again.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:26 »
If you're not entirely happy before the 7 days are up you should take her back as she could cost you loads in vets bills.

xx
Liz is coughing

Started by sunshinemedic on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 19:04
by Jellyhead
xx
coughing or sneezing....help..

Started by sarah* on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2006, 23:28
by Rural Living
xx
coughing bird

Started by grinling on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 19:51
by grinling
xx
Coughing Chooks

Started by mumsy on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 21:27
by mumsy

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 28 queries.